driver vs traveler using a private vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpsilva

Is it true that citizens engaged in personal travel and not engaged in commerce or business use of the roads do not require issuance or possession of a state dmv drivers license or even vehicle registration & insurance?

Is it true that citizens engaged in personal travel and not engaged in commerce or business use of the roads do not require issuance or possession of a state dmv drivers license or even vehicle registration & insurance?
Reiterating what MM said -this is NOT TRUE!

You are required to adhere to state and local laws concerning the use of the public throughfares - this includes having a proper license, registration, and proof of insurance as required by your state.

I have never seen that question asked before (agree, NOT TRUE).

If someone were to attempt that act of stupidity, it could become VERY costly.

I would advise against even thinking about this.

You can't even WALK on an Interstate, but you CAN ride or walk across the USA on US and state highways.

A friend of mine did it. It took him four months.

Another friend is planning to ride his horse from GA to CA this summer, cowboy style.

Just stay off the FREEWAYS (at least in CA and many other states) as a pedestrian, equestrian, or bicyclist.

Just stay off the FREEWAYS (at least in CA and many other states) as a pedestrian, equestrian, or bicyclist.

I avoid Cali, when I can.
But, he's staying away from the real cities and urban areas.
Dude told me, if he was seen riding a horse in some places, he'd have to fight for his life! LOL
He's a retired Secret Service Agent, and several other active a d retired law enforcement buddies of his will making the ride, too.
I'm planning a big BBQ for them the middle of July, if all goes well.
They've got sponsors and they're making the trek in honor of fallen first responders.

I avoid Cali, when I can.
But, he's staying away from the real cities and urban areas.
Dude told me, if he was seen riding a horse in some places, he'd have to fight for his life! LOL
He's a retired Secret Service Agent, and several other active a d retired law enforcement buddies of his will making the ride, too.
I'm planning a big BBQ for them the middle of July, if all goes well.
They've got sponsors and they're making the trek in honor of fallen first responders.
Sounds cool enough. And if they travel through the north and central part of the state, they'll have no problems and many friendly folks with a lot in common with them ... but, getting here without riding on freeways might take them a little out of their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back