DOD Contractor in Iraq on an expired Visa

stuckiniraqdod

Jurisdiction
Other
Good day,

I am currently working for a DOD contractor in Iraq. I have been in country since October 21st but my visa has expired since November 11th. My contract is a 90/30 rotation, meaning we are here for 90 days and then get 30 days off to return home. However, due to having an expired visa we are not allowed to go on leave for our 90/30. If we voluntarily "skip" we get a $2K bonus. We are being told that our contract states it's 90/30 but depends on mission requirements.

My question is, what are we to do if we are here on expired visas and can't get solid answers from our company on when it will be resolved? And would the company not being pro-active enough regarding renewing our visas qualify as "mission requirements" in regards to not being able to leave on our 90/30 rotation?

We have roughly 100 people on our site with all but 3-4 with expired visas. It has affected morale and people have resorted to quitting, just so they can go home.

To put it simply, it causes a huge amount of panic an anxiety with the feeling of being "stuck" here on illegally expired visas.

Any suggestions?

what are we to do if we are here on expired visas and can't get solid answers from our company on when it will be resolved?

Have you spoken to US offices at the US Embassy or nearest Consulate about your dilemma.

My guess is that your employer is violating US DoD and State Department requirements or regs.

The problem for you is that you might reap the consequences for your employer's obstinance and/or stupidity.

Your IP addy reveals your employer.
I'll add CHEAP along with obstinance and stupidity.

Back