Do the courts consider having a new baby with some else a reason to modify support

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindy88221

Im looking to file a modification for my child support. will courts consider that i have a new daughter and step daughter who I also have to support. Im looking into lowering my child support. I reside in canada and pay child support in US funds. Its becoming difficult to pay this amount due to currency difference. Do they also consider our living situation. I recently found out that my ex whom i pay $421 U.S per month in child support to, is living in city housing paying next to nothing and here i am struggling with my bills

how would the other child suffer?....He is not even benefiting from the support. She pays next to nothing on rent, she feeds him only rice which costs very little, His mother hardly buy him clothes and if she does buys it 3 sizes too big so it can last a few yeara, haircuts are not done often, doesnt put him in extra curricular activities....He even looks malnourished because he doesnt eat and she doesnt force him to eat....I buy him tickets to be with me on all holidays including the whole summer and when he is here he eats, dresses with clothes that fit him not 3 sizes to big so i can save money, i put him in extra curricular activities and spend quality time with him Im totally for my son and he is my first priority but she is benefiting for the money more then he is....she manages to be well dressed all the time now, nails and hair done all the time but my son looks homeless
this is my issue

Last edited:
Having more children does not remove obligation to pay support. Supporting step children especially does not. Because a parent chose to hav emore children or support children not their own does not suggest the previous children should get less support! However one may certainly go to court and seek a modification. Advice: Dont say you need money to support a step child it wont go over well

good point with regards to my step daughter! I dont have any intentions stopping my obligations for my son. He is my main priority however, it really upsets me that these funds are used for the wrong reasons and he does not benefit from them. I am here struggling to make ends meet meanwhile she is benefiting from these funds buying herself luxerious things such as laptop, new bedroom sets for herself, she is maintaining herself and forgotting about my son. If they could reduce the costs it would allow me to spend more time with my son due to the fact that i would be able to purchase him more airline tickets to spend time with him
Thats my point.

Sure if you consider rice as part of the 4 food groups because this is the onlything she feeds him...literally speaking///rice cost $13 dollars a bag and it can last a month or two and when he comes to canada to be with me, he only wants rice, no veggies, proteins, milk, dairy always wants to eat rice with ketchip.....thats it nothing moe .She also went from living in a decent apt to movinh into the projects....not because she cant afford it because she can...she makes the same amount as me annually but because she is defrauding ny housing and is pocketing the money... I am looking out for the best interest of my child

Last edited:
who has jurisdiction here? The US or
canada? If it is the US what state is the order out of? Some states do take subsequent children into consideration when calculating child support but many don't. Also have an additional child in itself may not be enough to lower support but it could be a good defense to avoid CS being raised.

In AZ where I am, subsequent children reduce income and do lower CS obligations, along with TX. It is really state specific.

my son is in nyc I reside in Canada...Thanks for the info i have to look into it to see whether ny state considers this

If the order is out of NY then they would have it. did you move to Canada? NY guidelines are confusing but I would not be surprised if NY did not count additional kids. Also in NY CS is paid until at least 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back