Do I have grounds for parental rights termination & stepparent adopt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

concernedmom75

My family is wanting to begin the step parent adoption process. I met my current husband when my daughter was two years old. She is now 6 and has a little brother that is 2. My daughter's biological father left the state shortly after her birth. Now he has not seen his daughter in three years and has not paid his child support in one year and seven months. Before that he paid for six consecutive months but prior to this six month period I did not recieve anything. His current backpay total is a little over $10,000. The biggest concern that I have is his drug and alchohol history as well as his history of violence. He currently has two warrants out for his arrest in Maricopa County, AZ. He was put on two years of probation there for domestic violence and marijuana possession. Apparently he violated the terms of his probation there so they revoked it and put out two warrants. He then moved to Colorado where he was arrested for a few charges and did not complete his community service and has a warrant there. After that he moved to Rhode Island where he was arrested for assault and a couple of other things and put on one year of probation which he has violated and currently has a warrant there. All of the charges are less than two years old. He has an issue with drugs and alchohol. I have 127 screenshots in my phone that were taken from his Instagram of him with marijuana, alchohol, and guns (which is also a violation of his probation in AZ) So in my opinion it would be in my daughter's best interest to have his rights terminated and my current husband adopt. I am wondering if the courts will agree.

My family is wanting to begin the step parent adoption process. I met my current husband when my daughter was two years old. She is now 6 and has a little brother that is 2. My daughter's biological father left the state shortly after her birth. Now he has not seen his daughter in three years and has not paid his child support in one year and seven months. Before that he paid for six consecutive months but prior to this six month period I did not recieve anything. His current backpay total is a little over $10,000. The biggest concern that I have is his drug and alchohol history as well as his history of violence. He currently has two warrants out for his arrest in Maricopa County, AZ. He was put on two years of probation there for domestic violence and marijuana possession. Apparently he violated the terms of his probation there so they revoked it and put out two warrants. He then moved to Colorado where he was arrested for a few charges and did not complete his community service and has a warrant there. After that he moved to Rhode Island where he was arrested for assault and a couple of other things and put on one year of probation which he has violated and currently has a warrant there. All of the charges are less than two years old. He has an issue with drugs and alchohol. I have 127 screenshots in my phone that were taken from his Instagram of him with marijuana, alchohol, and guns (which is also a violation of his probation in AZ) So in my opinion it would be in my daughter's best interest to have his rights terminated and my current husband adopt. I am wondering if the courts will agree.

You just can't arbitrarily terminate or revoke a parent's rights, no more than they can arbitrarily abdicate those rights.

Why?

Because with those rights go responsibilities, and the standard for parenting is very low.

Finally, you chose this man to breed you.

Therefore, the court doesn't want to hear you blasting him now.

You are free to try, but you'll see what I'm saying when you try.

Forget Instagram, and forget everything else for a moment.

Why?

He is chronically absent, and has refused to support his child.

You and your husband need to hire an attorney and get things rolling. You stand a FAR better chance at a TPR and stepparent adoption than most cases we see here.

You just can't arbitrarily terminate or revoke a parent's rights, no more than they can arbitrarily abdicate those rights.

Why?

Because with those rights go responsibilities, and the standard for parenting is very low.

Finally, you chose this man to breed you.

Therefore, the court doesn't want to hear you blasting him now.

You are free to try, but you'll see what I'm saying when you try.

AJ - this is a father who has provided no support be it financial or emotional. That changes the playing field dramatically.

Get a lawyer & see what the court decides.

AJ - this is a father who has provided no support be it financial or emotional. That changes the playing field dramatically.

If it's TRUE, maybe.

I'm sure he'll tell another tale, too.

If it's true, bet old dude will be happy.

That is, if they can find him.

If they can't.....

I better HUSH my mouth.

But, without a REAL lawyer, it ain't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back