Do I have Equal Pay Act Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitenight

I am 52 years old female with the significant years of prior experience and classical education.

I am a proximate successor of my current co-worker who is a 32 years old male with no prior experience in the field we work and without any education. He started to work for the company only 7 month' before me. The manager of the department knew him before and brought to the company.

His starting salary was $ 5 K a year more than mine one for just identical duties in the same department under the same conditions. Recently he was promoted to Senior position with the salary increase.

The previous employee of the department ( 39 years old male) with the same educational degree as me but less years of experience had $ 25 K year more than me. (He left and I was hired)

Both of the males' individuals are from Philippines as the Department manager is.

Would you please advice if I have an Equal Pay Act case?

Thanks

Nothing illegal in what you say.
If you're unhappy with your pay, quit.
By the way, the race, nationality, or ethnicity of others has nothing to do with you.
No one owes you, or me, anything.
Form your own company, and pay yourself what you think you're worth.
No one has to pay you, or anyone, anything but the minimum wage.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Are you serious?

Is it legal to remunerate a woman less than a man for the IDENTICAL duties (NOT substantially similar but the same)? There aren't any other merits to take in consideration to possibly justify the difference. I talk about Equal Pay Act of 1963 (women vs men)

Have you ever heard about the Act and equal pay for women?

Have you ever heard of hiring your friend for more money? Have you heard salaries are going down, depending on the job market? Your time to negotiate salary, was when you started.

Are you serious?

Is it legal to remunerate a woman less than a man for the IDENTICAL duties (NOT substantially similar but the same)? There aren't any other merits to take in consideration to possibly justify the difference. I talk about Equal Pay Act of 1963 (women vs men)

I have heard of many things.

I am The Shadow and I know what evil lurks in the hearts of men and women!

The Shadow knows!

Its even LEGAL to hire ONLY men, or ONLY women.

It isn't illegal to NOT hire a woman, if you're smart.

It isn't illegal to NOT hire a black, a midget, an ugly person, a fat person, a handicapped person; if you're smart.

It isn't illegal for someone to hire only white workers, black workers, gay workers, straight workers, fat workers, skinny workers, Mormon workers, catholic workers, Baptist workers, non-smoking workers; if you're smarter than the average dummy!

Yes, you can pay anyone any wage, as long as its above the minimum wage.

But, you can hire a female lawyer to tell you what I told you for free.

It isn't impossible or illegal for me to BAN you, if you don't watch your replies.

This is your one warning from me.

Tread lightly, if you wish to continue to discuss this issue.

Last edited:
Are you serious?

One thing I will add here. When my wife changed jobs at my urging, as they were hiring new employees in at higher wages than hers, even though she had more experience, I explained her recourse was to get a new job, just as those people had. Her low salary was due to the company foregoing raises for several years, among other things. As she was applying for new jobs, she attempted to put her current wage based on what her paycheck said. I asked her why she would do that. She said because that is what I earn. I asked her, if the company provided a list of additional benefits such as matching 401k, health care, etc... as part of her compensation package. When she agreed they did, I asked her if she took a job with no benefits, paying $1 per hour more, would she be ahead or behind. She agreed she would be behind. So we determined what her TRUE wage was and she listed this number. She could substantiate it, because it was obviously true. When she interviewed for new positions, she initially asked for the high side of the current average wage rate for her occupation. When interviewing, she could easily show the broad spectrum of experience she had and how beneficial she would be to a new employer. Based on the high number she requested and justified relative to market conditions and the higher wage number she had reformulated, based on her current position, the job she accepted targeted her wage and benefit package to meet the high current market rate, for her occupation. The lesson here is you do proper preparation and marketing, before getting the job. You don't go crying you should be paid more, after you get the job and discover you undersold yourself.

To sum it up, it is not illegal to pay a woman less than a man (or a man less than a woman) even if they are in the same position.

It is illegal to pay a woman less than a man (or a man less than a woman) BECAUSE she is a woman (or he is a man).

There is a thing called market compression. It is unfair, but it is legal, and it occurs when the market rate is different at the time different employees are hired. Most often it is when new employees are paid more than existing ones, but it does happen, especially in a poor economy, the other way around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back