DNA test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name

If I signed my sons birth cert. and he shares my last name and I have had 50/50 custody for the past 2 years. After all this time the mother wants a DNA test, If the test proves he isn't mine do I still have rights to the child that I have been told was mine from the time he was born until now?

If I signed my sons birth cert. and he shares my last name and I have had 50/50 custody for the past 2 years. After all this time the mother wants a DNA test, If the test proves he isn't mine do I still have rights to the child that I have been told was mine from the time he was born until now?

Your question will ultimately be answered in a court of law.

If you are scientifically proven NOT to be the father, on what legal basis do you think you should continue to act as father?

You need not answer the question, sir, just think about it.

You might also wish to consult a psychologist, social worker, or therapist.

This will be a very difficult and troubling time ahead for you, but if you're NOT the dad, you're denying the real father the joy you've had.

That said, the devil in this tragedy isn't the child or yourself.

The devil happens to be a lying, conniving, person, but you should have requested a DNA test before becoming emotionally invested.

I wish you well, sir.

And where is the other guy? Was he served? How old is this child?

@AJ - depending on the circumstances, OP just might be able to hang on to legal paternity ;)

What state do you, the child, and the mother reside? This may play a big factor as laws vary across state lines.

I do believe that there is more to parenting then blood. You have 2 years of 50-50 status quo. Thus, you have legal standing as the father, albeit maybe not biological. I aploud your will to be in the child's lives.

Lastly, do not take legal advice from your ex. Consult a family law attorney. Some, will even grant you an initial cobsultation for free.

What state do you, the child, and the mother reside? This may play a big factor as laws vary across state lines.

I do believe that there is more to parenting then blood. You have 2 years of 50-50 status quo. Thus, you have legal standing as the father, albeit maybe not biological. I aploud your will to be in the child's lives.

Lastly, do not take legal advice from your ex. Consult a family law attorney. Some, will even grant you an initial cobsultation for free.

This is NOT correct. The OP is not, and will never be, the legal father. There is only one way he can ever obtain court-ordered visitation and OP need to answer my questions before further discussion takes place.

This is also happening in CA - and the laws surrounding third party custody and/or visitation can be more than a little murky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back