Divorice - Alimony Jurisdiction

marybastion

Jurisdiction
Texas
My husband and I live in TX and CT respectively. We have two children that live with me in marital home. He filed a divorce from TX. I understand TX doesn't have jurisdiction over the children and the property. I have been advised that he can still get the divorce in Texas with other matters to be resolved by CT courts. How about the alimony part? Will it come under TX jurisdiction?. What can I do to apply for alimony in CT where it will be favorable to me.

Advised by who?

An attorney?

If not, I suggest that you seek advice from a divorce attorney.

Meantime, here are alimony calculators for both states. Note that both also have child support calculators.

Connecticut Maintenance (Alimony) Calculator | Legal Calculators

Texas Maintenance (Alimony) Calculator | Legal Calculators
Yes the advice was from a divorce attorney. As a resident of Texas he can file and obtain a divorce. I will speak with a CT lawyer to see how to fight this
Vanderbilt v. Vanderbilt, 354 U.S. 416 | Casetext Search + Citator
Estin v. Estin, 334 U.S. 541 | Casetext Search + Citator

Yes the advice was from a divorce attorney. As a resident of Texas he can file and obtain a divorce. I will speak with a CT lawyer to see how to fight this
Vanderbilt v. Vanderbilt, 354 U.S. 416 | Casetext Search + Citator
Estin v. Estin, 334 U.S. 541 | Casetext Search + Citator

Today contesting a divorce is useless.

Unlike 30 or 40 years ago, grounds for a divorce aren't necessary, just the desire to be divorced is enough.

The division of marital assets, child support, child custody, alimony/spousal support remain in play.

That said, do retain your own attorney to represent your interests.

In fact, under Texas law, a person in your position might even get the court to order your soon to be former spouse to pay your attorney's fees.

My husband and I live in TX and CT respectively. We have two children that live with me in marital home.

I'm guessing, although you didn't make it clear, that the "marital home" and you and the kids live in CT and that your husband lives in TX. I'm going to further guess that you and the kids have never lived in TX. Please say so if any of those guesses aren't correct.

I understand TX doesn't have jurisdiction over the children and the property.

Understand based on what?

I have been advised that he can still get the divorce in Texas with other matters to be resolved by CT courts. How about the alimony part?

the advice was from a divorce attorney.

In what state does this attorney practice? And do you have any reason to believe that the "other matters" doesn't refer to alimony?

Apparently you believe you're entitled to alimony. Correct? If so, on what basis do you believe you are entitled? What does he do for a living, and how much does he earn? Same questions about you.

What can I do to apply for alimony in CT where it will be favorable to me.

Why do you think it will be favorable to you in CT? Regardless, I'm not sure what this question means, but you should consult with and retain the services of a local divorce attorney.

Back