1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Divorce - Utah / Foreign Citizen

Discussion in 'Divorce, Separation, Annulment' started by Melagias, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Melagias

Melagias Law Topic Starter New Member

Hello, I am asking this on the behalf of a friend who lives in Casablanca in Morocco. She married a man from Utah while she was studying in Florida. The marriage took place in Florida. After the marriage was done, her study visa expired and she returned to Morocco and the marriage fell apart. She is wanting to return to the U.S. to continue her studies on a new visa, but she'd like to initiate the divorce while in Morocco.

I know this forum focuses on American law - and that is what I am asking about, I just want to know the American side of this.

Questions:

• Does her status as married affect her visa application? Will it hurt it? Can she just list her status as seperated?

• Is it possible for her to initiate a divorce from abroad? If so, how do we go about doing this?

• Is it better for her to wait and do it in the U.S. (if her marital status doesn't affect her visa)?

• Does abandonment come into play at all?
    Your time is greatly appreciated - thank you so much for reading this and offering your thoughts.

2. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known Member

"we" don't go about doing anything at all.

Melagias likes this.
  3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

She might wish to pose that question to an officer at the US Embassy in Morocco.

She might wish to pose that question to an officer at the US Embassy in Morocco.

She might wish discuss to discuss this with a lawyer in Morocco.

Her divorce ONLY involves her and the dude she married.

She might wish to discuss this with a lawyer in Morocco.

She might wish to discuss this with a lawyer in Morocco.

Unless she gave birth to a child sired by dude in Utah, I don't see abandonment as an issue, insofar as US laws are concerned.

I know nothing about the laws of Morocco.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

It would be easier and less costly to establish residency in whatever state she will be doing her studies and file for divorce there. The residency requirement in Florida, for example, is 6 months and, like any state in the US, doesn't require fault.

She would be foolish not to take advantage of US divorce laws. She'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon, and for the rest of her life.

:D

5. Melagias

Melagias Law Topic Starter New Member

Thank you all. I apologize for the "we," my only involvement will be passing information along to her.

6. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

You wrote that she wants "to initiate the divorce while in Morocco." No one here is going to have any idea if this is possible to do from abroad.

"We" (i.e., you) don't do anything. Your friend should consult with a divorce lawyer in Morocco.

In order to offer you an intelligent comparative analysis, one would have to have a working knowledge of Moroccan divorce law, which no one here does.

No (at least not under the laws of any U.S. state).