Divorce & child custody - my husband is an Australian citizen & is there w/our kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger1202

I married my husband in California when we found out I was pregnant. We moved to Australia since that's where he's from & both of our children were born there and hold dual citizenship. I was miserable there and we fought constantly. I moved back to California with both kids last year & have let the kids go to visit him twice. Now he's saying he's not going to send them back to me and he's removed my name from all of our accounts so not only do I not have my children, but I have no access to any of my money to fight to get them back. He's verbally & emotionally abusive and I can't trust that he's not telling my children horrible things (untrue) about me. I need to (a) get my kids back, (b) get a divorce, and (c) get my money out of Australia. Help!

You made two very big mistakes.

You abandoned your marriage, and then you voluntarily returned the kids to Australia.

You have no legal recourse in the US.

If you want to fight this, you'll have to return to Australia and use their court system.

That applies to bringing any action to recover your money.

Don't get your hopes up, OP.

I practiced law in Australia and still hold the QC designation and retain my law license down under.

An Australian court won't be very sympathetic towards a US citizen, insofar as allowing you to uproot their citizens back to the US.

And, it should be apparent, but a US court has no power to compel an Australian citizen ensconced in his homeland to do anything!!!!

I see a new series here...

AJ Down Under!!!

Nah, but The Castle was a very funny movie.

They filmed the High Court scenes outside the modernistic courthouse in Canberra. The courtroom scenes were done in Melbourne at Victoria's High Court.

Gawd, I loved Oz. the best four years of my pathetic life. Now that would be a great movie. LOL

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back