discriminatory termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkcherry1

I work in the gaming industry. In Sep 2008 I was terminated for having a taco in the count room. The young lady with me (the one who brought the tacos) was not. I was instructed that it was a violation of gaming to have personal items in the count room. The violation was captured on video. The video was sent to the gaming commission and no action was taken. The gaming commission has yet to inform me of any such violation. I had performed duties in the count room for the past 4 years while consuming beverages and food, as has all other team members. The young lady(employed for 7 years) who was not terminated stated to me that she (on too many occassions to count) and the operations manager(employed 15+ years) consumed food in the count room. He to this day still works there. I understand that they, for some reason or other, wanted me gone. But, that does not make it a fair and just termination. The gaming regulations are in place for all individuals, not who management dictates. This has caused me a great deal in personal and financial hardship. Sep-May are slow months in gaming and jobs are very scarce.

You mention discrimination. On what basis? In order for you to even consider a discrimination action you first have to show how you were discriminated and why. Not to mention the reason needs to be because you belong to a protected class.

discrimination

Thank you for the response.

I understand your point. I may be placing my situation under the wrong title. Others have committed the same offense, repeatedly, regardless of race, color, religion, age, etc, and have not been reprimanded or terminated. I have been in the work force for 37 years and have never been terminated. I am confused and "uncomfortable". I just can't shake the anger and frustration that I was treated unfairly.

Last edited:
Okay, let's clarify.

If you had to guess, why do you think you were treated differently?

I truly do not know. I have mulled it over countless times. I was a company man. I was asked to perform duties to recoup where other co-workers failed. I was always in proper uniform when others constantly were not. I wasn't late and had proper excuse for absences. Performed extra duties if asked of me. Basically, I live by an old fashion work ethic. The worst I can think of is I have been working two full time jobs for the last 4 years and may not have been as chipper as I used to be. If I was extremely tired, I usually kept relatively quiet. I do not think the general manager liked me. He rules his kingdom by fear, not respect. It didn't bother me much. Do your job, have nothing to fear. I have, throughout my adult life, been treated rather distastefully at times, because of my long hair. I am not an idiot and understand that the company may just feel I did not "fit their image" anymore. I had noticed that men with long hair, men/women with obvious tatoos, or an unsavory appearance were being "weeded" out over time.

My immediate supervisor was obviously uncomfortable having to tell me I was terminated and the human resource manager even apologized to me when she handed me check. The whole thing just seemed like a railroading.

The problem is, unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you were singled out for termination BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, or other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, this falls under the category of "possibly unfair but not illegal". Every state except Montana (and in some situations even Montana) is at least nominally at "at-will" state, meaning that you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired at any time and for any reason not specifically prohibited by law.

I am in a situation where I am the plaintiff in family court. The defendant's attorney through legal paper drawn up by my lawyer, found out that I worked at the bank where his account is house. The defendant's attorney recently spoke to my manager about the security of his account knowing that I have been employed with the company for over three year and that the defendant only hired him just over two months ago. I think that the defendant's lawyer has behaved unethical and unlawful. Does anyone have an opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back