discrimination/Favoritism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouse

I have been employed for five years as a part timer. Throughout the years of my employment I have been overlooked for a full time position numerous times (more than 5x). All of the employees that have been hired had zero experience in the position as opposed to my extensive experience. In fact, I ended up training the new full timers that were hired instead of me. Throughout my years with my employer I have had three different supervisors who I have gotten along with great. Everytime a position is opened everyone gets shocked that I never even got an interview. My co-workers have come out and supported me by speaking to the supervisors but the supervisors say it is out of their hands. There is a questionaire about the position that is graded by human resources and based on the questionaire they score/rate you amongst other candidates for the job. Everytime I apply for the position I dont even get a call for an interview, human resources tell me I didnt score as high as the other candidates, which baffles me as I have more experience and am more knowledgable than some current full-time staff let alone candidates that have never worked in my position before. I am the only arab/muslim in the whole facility with an arab/Muslim name. ! think that may have something to do with their decision making or "point scoring". If anyone can enlighten me with their knowledge of the law to see if I have a case for discrimination or any category, that would be helpful.

No discrimination because you perceive your name might be used against you.

An employer is not obligated to hire you.

He can hire his entire harem, she can hire every stud in town and ignore you.

An employer can hire idiots, rejecting geniuses, many do because idiots do what they're told.

Besides, why make you full time?

You already do everything you're told.

Nope, you can't PROVE discrimination, it's simply the employer's choice.

It might be hard to prove you were discriminated against due to your arab/muslim name. I don't think we have any illegal discrimination here - employer's choice who to hire as long as they don't discriminate due to a reason prohibited by law.

As one with several years management experience:

It is possible to have a very good, dependable and reliable person working part time for you, whom you would never consider for a full time position. I have had a few. It was related to their natural abilities vs their capabilities.

Thanks for your reply and answer. Seeing that I don't have too many options on the table other than find a new job or keep getting used and abused, I have another question for you.... How is it that I hear about so many incidences where people sue and get what they want for throwing the race/gender card? "oh its because im black, brown,yellow, female,gay" etc... Some people get away with it without really having a case....why is that? Could our justice system be that sensitive to race/gender discrimination? if so why shouldnt i poke at that soft spot?.....

hope you dont mind stupid questions lol....thanks for your help

Thanks for your reply and answer. Seeing that I don't have too many options on the table other than find a new job or keep getting used and abused, I have another question for you.... How is it that I hear about so many incidences where people sue and get what they want for throwing the race/gender card? "oh its because im black, brown,yellow, female,gay" etc... Some people get away with it without really having a case....why is that? Could our justice system be that sensitive to race/gender discrimination? if so why shouldnt i poke at that soft spot?.....

hope you dont mind stupid questions lol....thanks for your help

The one you hear about, is the winner.

You never hear about the thousands, even millions of losers.

It's a rare day when someone prevails on an EEOC claim, a discrimination claim, or just a garden variety civil lawsuit.

Dog bites man, no news. Man bites dog, big news!!!

Age discrimination is not illegal. I encounter it on a daily basis. It is foolish to think that you can do anything about it. When applying for a job, always lie if you are over 50. Tell them you are 35 or younger. As soon as an employer sees a number over 50, the application goes right in the trash!

As does the employment when (not if, when) the employer discovers that the applicant lied. You don't think they'll find out? Go look at the documentation that's allowed for the I-9 form and tell me the date of birth isn't going to be obvious on at least one of them.

I hope no one takes Active Sound's advice.

We are talking about employment, not your love life.

Age discrimination is not illegal. I encounter it on a daily basis. It is foolish to think that you can do anything about it. When applying for a job, always lie if you are over 50. Tell them you are 35 or younger. As soon as an employer sees a number over 50, the application goes right in the trash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back