Discrimination and abuse of power

Csi_tx

Jurisdiction
Texas
I filed a charge of discrimination based on race with the EEOC when my employer refused to pay me equally compared to my counterparts. I'm a minority and one of the most experienced in our work group but the lowest paid. I work for a law enforcement agency.

I found out last week that my raise have been denied due to retaliation. Other coworkers previously fought for equal pay and I'm seen as jumping on the bandwagon. What other legal recourse do I have?

You've already taken the recourse open to you. Notify the EEOC of the new information and let them do their jobs.

What other legal recourse do I have?

Pay close attention to deadlines in this process. If you are late in one of the steps that may end your recourse right there. For example, once the EEOC has sent you the right to sue letter, you'll have just 300 days to file your federal lawsuit against the employer. It appears that Texas and the EEOC have a worksharing agreement, so your EEOC complaint should have been shared with the state by the EEOC, preserving both your federal and state rights. You may want to interview a couple of attorneys who litigate these kinds of cases to see how strong a case you have and find an attorney you like. You should be able to find initial consultations for free or at low cost. That way you'll know whom to contact once you get your lettter. This assumes that the matter won't be resolved by the EEOC/TWC in mediation with your employer. Obviously if you and your employer can reach an agreement you both are satisfied with, that would be the best outcome.

I thought the deadline to file suit after you got your right to sue letter was 90 days?

You're right. I had in mind the time to file the initial agency complaint, which is 300 days if the state enforces a similiar law to the federal law that the employee believes was violated. So here the OP would have had 300 days to file that EEOC complaint instead of the usual 180 days. Then after getting the right to sue letter, it's 90 days to file the court complaint. I apologize for the confusion.

I thought the deadline to file suit after you got your right to sue letter was 90 days?

been through a few of those 90 day windows wondering if a lawsuit was happening...luckily haven't hit that jackpot yet.... But both were very weak claims to start with!

Back