"Discretionary Bonus"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwood002

I live in NC and will be submitting my resignation on Feb. 14th with 2 week notice (terminating on Feb. 28th). On Feb. 25th I am scheduled to receive a Discretionary Bonus from my current employer based on my performance evaluation from last year and on company performance. The Bonus Pool has been fully-funded and we are expecting to know our share on Feb. 21st. Our Bonus Q&A states that in order to receive your bonus you must be employed at the time it is paid and have received at least a "Moderate" Rating (I received a Leading). Can they legally not pay my bonus or if they do not allow me to work my notice can they withhold the money since I will not be with the firm? Is this an issue I should consult with HR about? Thanks!

If you're SMART (and really want to ensure you recieve your bonus), you won't be STUPID and submit your resignation UNTIL you have that bonus in your hands!

There is no legal (or magic) requirement about submitting a two week notice.

In fact, once you submit a notice SOME employers will say that TODAY is your last day!

An employer isn't required to let you hang around for two weeks if you've decided to leave.

Hold off resigning (or even talking about it) until you've got the sweet bonus check (or direct deposit) in your posssession!

Agree with AJ. Such policies are both common and legal. The only way to guarantee that you get that bonus is to NOT have given your notice on the date the bonus is released.

Heartily thirded.

Be smart, OP. Hold on until you have the bonus in your hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back