Disability Retirement Pension and VSIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommygirl

My 49 y/o husband has applied for a disability retirement pension due to a severe neck injury. His employer is offering a Voluntary Separation Incentive Program to several employees including my husband. Can he accept the buyout and still qualify for disability retirement? He also has a pending Worker's Comp case.

My 49 y/o husband has applied for a disability retirement pension due to a severe neck injury. His employer is offering a Voluntary Separation Incentive Program to several employees including my husband. Can he accept the buyout and still qualify for disability retirement? He also has a pending Worker's Comp case.

Without reading EVERYTHING, an answer specific to your spouse isn't very useful.

A general answer is, if he takes the buyout, they're done with him.
Companies generally want to waive a few bucks in your face today, so they won't have to care for you next year.

Whatever you do, don't share any personal data over the Internet.
Do obtain copies of everything, read everything, understand everything, take your time in deciding.
Then take your documents to an employment relations lawyer, labor attorney, or a contracts lawyer.
Let them review everything, shell out a couple hundred bucks for an answer in writing, a legal opinion.

The decision he makes in haste is likely to be very costly.

Last edited:
It would be very rare indeed for someone taking disability retirement to also qualify for a voluntary retirement incentive but this is going to be company specific.

Agree with Elle. Generally (that's generally) if you take retirement disability, they will not also offer/give you the voluntary retirement separation incentive.

However, the fact remains that this is not a question that is determined by law, but by his employer's policy. Only they can say under what terms he will qualify for the buyout.

Thanks for the answers. Here's an excerpt of a letter signed by his employer that's got us a little confused: "As your participation is the incentive program is contingent upon your successful application for a disability retirement, your last day on payroll is as yet unknown. However, once your retirement date is set and you have received your final paycheck, you can expect to receive the incentive payment on the following payday." Any thoughts on what this means?

Thanks for the answers. Here's an excerpt of a letter signed by his employer that's got us a little confused: "As your participation is the incentive program is contingent upon your successful application for a disability retirement, your last day on payroll is as yet unknown. However, once your retirement date is set and you have received your final paycheck, you can expect to receive the incentive payment on the following payday." Any thoughts on what this means?

Please, don't post any information you receive from confidential correspondence, especially if it isn't yours.
That was perilously close, but I'll let it stand.
I don't mean to sound harsh, just protective of your privacy.

I suggest if you read things you don't comprehend, create a list of questions and seek clarification from the author of said letter or written material.

Again, I urge your to coax hubby to discuss this with your family attorney after seeking clarification from the company or provider.
Trust me, they are very helpful in guiding employees/clients through these new, unknown, choppy waters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back