direct deposit

R

ricanhavoc

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I work at a bank who offers direct deposit. Can they refuse to deposit at my own bank (which is not where I work)?

I work at a bank who offers direct deposit. Can they refuse to deposit at my own bank (which is not where I work)?

In NJ, an employee must consent to direct deposit of his or her earnings.

If direct deposit has previously been effected, the employee can provide written notice to the employer that he or she no longer desires to have earnings direct deposited.

THE LAW IN NJ

34:11-4.2a. Payment by deposit in financial institution; consent by employee; cancellation; notice

In lieu of paying wages directly to employees as provided by P.L.1965, c. 173, s. 2 (C. 34:11-4.2), an employer may, with the consent of some or all his employees, arrange with a financial institution or financial institutions to pay the wages of each employee so consenting by causing the amount of such employee's wages to be deposited in an account maintained in any such financial institution in the name of such employee, subject to withdrawal and other disposition by such employee to the same extent and in the same manner as if such deposit were made directly by such employee. Any such employee may, on timely notice to the employer, elect not to have his wages deposited as provided herein, and to be paid such wages directly in the manner otherwise provided by law. Financial institution as used herein means any State-chartered or Federally-chartered institution authorized to accept deposits in New Jersey.

In NJ, an employee must consent to direct deposit of his or her earnings.

If direct deposit has previously been effected, the employee can provide written notice to the employer that he or she no longer desires to have earnings direct deposited.

THE LAW IN NJ

34:11-4.2a. Payment by deposit in financial institution; consent by employee; cancellation; notice

In lieu of paying wages directly to employees as provided by P.L.1965, c. 173, s. 2 (C. 34:11-4.2), an employer may, with the consent of some or all his employees, arrange with a financial institution or financial institutions to pay the wages of each employee so consenting by causing the amount of such employee's wages to be deposited in an account maintained in any such financial institution in the name of such employee, subject to withdrawal and other disposition by such employee to the same extent and in the same manner as if such deposit were made directly by such employee. Any such employee may, on timely notice to the employer, elect not to have his wages deposited as provided herein, and to be paid such wages directly in the manner otherwise provided by law. Financial institution as used herein means any State-chartered or Federally-chartered institution authorized to accept deposits in New Jersey.

That didn't wholly satisfy my query.. Here's more detail: I worked at a bank which, prior to being bought out, direct deposited into my bank account at another financial institution. After the buyout, the new bank refused to continue the direct deposit unless I opened a bank account with them. Thus, I receive a paper paycheck.

That didn't wholly satisfy my query.. Here's more detail: I worked at a bank which, prior to being bought out, direct deposited into my bank account at another financial institution. After the buyout, the new bank refused to continue the direct deposit unless I opened a bank account with them. Thus, I receive a paper paycheck.

You asked if the bank can REFUSE to deposit in their bank, thereby depositing funds into another bank?

Yes, nothing odd or illegal about such a choice.

You are free to accept their deal, then simply transfer the funds to the bank of your choice.

Otherwise, take the paper check to the bank it's drawn upon and cash it.

Then take the cash and deposit it into your bank.

Unless you're a very wealthy person, us beggars and bums have to eat the gruel the master gives us.

Back