Differentiation Of Charater???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyamalfitano

My jurisdiction is: New Jersey

I wasn't fired, but I'm not put on the schedule anymore??? I worked at a Country Club in Farmingdale NJ as a sever/captain. I worked there for almost 2 years. Never called in sick, never came in late, and always did a great job, so I'm told. I also recieved a nice Christmas bonus. The slow season came and I went on partial unemployment. I worked a little here & there when needed. I requested a weekend off with 3 weeks notice and I was never put BACK on the schedule. I called 2 co-workers a few weeks after that to see if I was on the schedule and nothing. I thought, ok it's still the slow season, no big deal, I'll get an email when it gets busy and they need me. A few weeks after that I contacted him to see why I was not working,the Matrede' ( not even a year employed there ) said I was supposed to call after taking the one weekend off and ask to be put back on the schedule. This was never the case before, I was just put on and emailed along with everone else when to work.If you need time off, give 2 weeks notice. Meanwhile everyone else is working and a women he hired is now taking my place. Before I took the one weekend off, she was slowly getting more hours then I and then she was made a captain. The Matrede' who "let me go" said now he now doesn't need anymore captains?? Ok, well I was a captain long before she was hired. Now, she has my job. I want to sue!! I feel like he singled me out. Why do I have to call in and ask for work when the new girl and others don't have to, all of the sudden. I'm so mad! What can I do? Isn't this differentiation of charater???

Last edited:
If you mean defamation of character, no, it is not.

Nothing you have posted suggests anything illegal has taken place. If he prefers her work to yours, he is free to schedule her and not you. Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you are not being scheduled BECAUSE OF a characteristic protected by law (race, religion, national origin, etc.) he has no legal obligation to schedule you.

I must all of the sudden after almost 2 years,have to ask for work and everyone else just gets put on the schedule, that doesn't seem right.He's treating me different, he's giving me different rules then others. The new girl who has my job just get's put on every week ,even before I was slowly manipulated off the schedule.

It may or may not be 'right' but unless there is something more to the story that you have not told us, it is not illegal.

My jurisdiction is: New Jersey

I wasn't fired, but I'm not put on the schedule anymore??? I worked at a Country Club in Farmingdale NJ as a sever/captain. I worked there for almost 2 years... The slow season came and I went on partial unemployment. I worked a little here & there when needed. I requested a weekend off with 3 weeks notice and I was never put BACK on the schedule. I called 2 co-workers a few weeks after that to see if I was on the schedule and nothing. I thought, ok it's still the slow season, no big deal, I'll get an email when it gets busy and they need me. A few weeks after that I contacted him to see why I was not working,the Matrede' said I was supposed to call after taking the one weekend off and ask to be put back on the schedule. This was never the case before, I was just put on and emailed along with everone else when to work.If you need time off, give 2 weeks notice.
It's not defamation of charecter,it could be a violation of public policy if the employers actual reason for terminating you was the fact you filed for unemployment compensation.

Sounds like they decided to go the route of laying you off for lack of work or some other reason they will attest to. Nothing illegal for what you have posted, although it would make me mad as well. Continue collecting unemployment and look for another job in the meantime. If that is the reason they will state, then you can use them as a reference if you want (wouldn't recommend it though).

Airline Carrier: wrongful termination...

My Jurisdiction is: New Jersey

As a flight attendant with this company just over 3yrs and the other just at 10yrs both clean records we was working a red-eye (overnight) full flight apprx 200pax. At approx 3am local time while sitting on the flight attendants seats in the very rear (backs against the entrance) a non-working employee (capt) approach the rear of the aircraft and rqst for water myself and another flight attendant complied.

When WE landed at our destination our working capt asked us if we were sleeping in the back?. we bother throughly denied and in shock ask to why would u ask that. he replied well "the non-working capt approached the flight deck stating that two flight attendants were sleeping in the back. totally shocked at the matter we denied again as well as told the working capt that we had other non-working flight attendants in the back with us as well so clearly NO one was sleep.

Approx 2days later myself and the other flight attendant was called into a meeting were we were removed from duty pending an investigation about that flight stating the non-working capt states we were "sleeping on the rear aircraft floor with blankets".. we slightly chuckled in shock as this seems ludacris as flight attendants dont even like cleaning things on the floor.. yet alone SLEEP on the floor. however we were removed from duty for approx a week.

a week later we were then called for another meeting and was terminated because "the company" contacted a passenger who ALLEGEDLY stated "she stepped in the back for a glass of water, and the flight attendants appeared to be "on break" she did not want to bother us so she proceed to the front of the aircraft where there were more flight attendants and ran into the (non-working) capt who she thought was a flight attendant at the time.. he then approached the back requesting for water and this is where the story changes from the flight attendants sleeping on the floor to " the flight attendants where sleeping on the jumpseat with blankets over their head".. never were anyone but management avail to contact or listen in to the alleged conversation with the passenger.

Dispite the other witness such as the other (2) non-working flight attendants in the back with us the (2) working flight attendants in the front as well as a dated/time photograph picture of one of the flight attendants around the alleged time we were "sleeping" is it possible to sue for wrongful termination and defamation of character?

In addition when speaking to union representation there have been (2) seperate cases were a flight attendant was actually observed sleeping on the job and was never even placed on termination WARNING yet we were accused and was terminated. do you think we have a valid case?

Please help,

Thank you

I think so the union should bring it to the adjustment board, unless you are reinstated prior to that. Even if you were snoozing that hardly rates termination.

Your welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back