Did i mess up on my marriage lisence

Nikkie

Jurisdiction
Alaska
When i signed my marriage licence was i suppose to write my maiden name or my soon to be married licence,because now on my certificate it says my maiden name not my husbands last name, and how to i go about fixing it if i did it wrong

What did the clerk who issued the license say when you asked him/her/it your question?

When i signed my marriage licence was i suppose to write my maiden name or my soon to be married licence,because now on my certificate it says my maiden name not my husbands last name, and how to i go about fixing it if i did it wrong

It might be best to call, or better yet to take the license with you and visit the county office where the license was issued, explain your issue, see how it must be corrected.

Good luck.

I see you are in the state of Alaska, and so am I, so I just looked at a couple of State of Alaska marriage certificates that I've gotten from recently-married employees. They always list the bride's maiden name on the certificate, rather than her new married name, so you are fine.

I see you are in the state of Alaska, and so am I, so I just looked at a couple of State of Alaska marriage certificates that I've gotten from recently-married employees. They always list the bride's maiden name on the certificate, rather than her new married name, so you are fine.

I thought it was suppose to be your married name that way your able to change your last name, not sure how to go about exactly changing my last name to my husbands

I thought it was suppose to be your married name that way your able to change your last name, not sure how to go about exactly changing my last name to my husbands

Changing your name was done when you were legally married and returned the certificate to the county clerk to be filed.

Here's an example:

Judy Jones and Paul Brown are married.

Judy can send or present a certified copy of her marriage license to the drivers licensing agency, for example, to change her name from: Judy Jones to Judy Jones-Brown, or Judy Brown.

Paul can do something similar, if he so chooses becoming: Paul Jones, or Paul Brown-Jones.

How do I know?

My wife and did precisely that many moons ago when we were married.
We had our reasons for doing it back then, today we laugh whenever we travel together, or anytime we're asked to present identification when we're together.

We never had our motives questioned, even when I had my military ID changed, and my US Passport.

What Army Judge said.

You can begin using your husband's last name immediately upon getting married, and to change it legally on documents like your driver's license, you'll just present the marriage certificate to the DMV and that's all the proof they need that you are legally married & entitled to change your name if you wish. Once you have it changed on your driver's license or whatever form of state ID you carry, then getting it changed other places (like on bank accounts) should be fairly easy using your new license/ID.

Back