Department of Children Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a 28 year old single mother of 4.

THE REST HAS BEEN REDACTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE OP!
If your child(ren) have been taken by DCS there are several things that you need to do. Usually the first thing you need to do is CALM DOWN. Your first contact with DCS will almost certainly be with a caseworker. This caseworker is extremely important to your case and so, even if they are rude to you, you should try to be polite to them. I know this is contrary to what would be a parent's normal reaction but it is so important. I have had several cases where the fact that the caseworker "liked" my client was instrumental in getting the child(ren) returned to the parent.

While you should try to "get along" with the caseworker or be polite to them you should also be very careful about what you say to them. Anything you say to the caseworker can and will be used against you. If you want a "shoulder to cry on" seek professional help or talk to someone other than the caseworker or DCS personnel. You also should not lie to the caseworker as that will be used against you.

You should immediately consult with an attorney. In many cases, if you cannot afford one, you have a right to a court-appointed attorney. You need to go to the Juvenile Court Clerk of the county where the child(ren) was taken and ask for a court-appointed attorney. They will usually give you a form (oath of indigence) to fill out. It is extremely important that you are TRUTHFUL on this form. It is a criminal offence to falsify this form and even if you are not prosecuted lying on this form will harm your case. You may have to come back to court with the completed form and ask for an appointed attorney. You need to do this or retain an attorney a.s.a.p. as the early stages of your case are critical.
Here you go, read this to be led to your help:
Department of Childrens' Services (DCS)

Last edited:
Your child wasn?t taken for no reason. You may not agree with it, but what reason did they give? Why was DCS there to begin with? Where are the other kids?

Your child wasn?t taken for no reason. You may not agree with it, but what reason did they give? Why was DCS there to begin with? Where are the other kids?
She said her older three children were taken after her youngest was murdered, so maybe it has something to do with her relationship with the person who murdered her child?

Ah, I read it as the oldest (a 3 y/o) was removed.
Still... It doesn't happen for no reason, so it is likely a disagreement with the reason.

The person who murdered my son was a family friend. The only reason I was giving was that instead of making my middle children stay home every night after their brother murdered I let them stay a night with their grandmother and a night with their grandfather from that the dcs worker twisted things up completely and said we didn't have a stable home when in fact we did. I am not an idiot so I wouldn't ask any questions without this actually being an issue.

The person who murdered my son was a family friend. The only reason I was giving was that instead of making my middle children stay home every night after their brother murdered I let them stay a night with their grandmother and a night with their grandfather from that the dcs worker twisted things up completely and said we didn't have a stable home when in fact we did. I am not an idiot so I wouldn't ask any questions without this actually being an issue.

That makes zero sense that DCFS gets called because you let kids stay with their grandparents after their brother was murdered. Something doesn't add up.

The person who murdered.......

REDACTED at request of OP

I know you think this is relevant.

Regrettably it isn't, it's incriminating.

Never talk to the police, or any other government agency.

You have the right to remain silent.

You have the right to have an attorney.

You don't have to allow DCS to administratively address this issue.

You have the right to a full, fair, impartial hearing before a judge and jury.

Again, you have the right to be represented by an attorney.

As odd as it may seem, your rights can only be assured in court, not before a bureaucratic tribunal.

Perhaps you can turn your ship around, if you act quickly.

If you continue on the administrative hearing path, you'll only suffer more ambushes and losses, because your adversary will cheat!!!!

I wish you well.

It still is not clear- what reason did they give for taking the kids?
You say there was an allegation of an unstable home, but there MUST be more to it than staying a night with grandparents. Information is missing.

The fastest way to get your kids back is to hire legal counsel to help you through this... assuming there isn't some more legitimate reason for all of this.

DCS has far too much on their plate and far too few resources to go around at random removing children from stable homes.

If this is the case that I think it is, there is a whole lot more to the story.

I know you think this is relevant.

Regrettably it isn't, it's incriminating.

Never talk to the police, or any other government agency.

You have the right to remain silent.

You have the right to have an attorney.

You don't have to allow DCS to administratively address this issue.

You have the right to a full, fair, impartial hearing before a judge and jury.

Again, you have the right to be represented by an attorney.

As odd as it may seem, your rights can only be assured in court, not before a bureaucratic tribunal.

Perhaps you can turn your ship around, if you act quickly.

If you continue on the administrative hearing path, you'll only suffer more ambushes and losses, because your adversary will cheat!!!!

I wish you well.
Thank you. No one has explained this out that way. I am a nurse so things like this are out of my field of expertise.

I agree with others there is something your NOT telling us. However what you need is a Lawyer NOT a website manned by volunteers

Clearly you know nothing. They are automatically called in when a situation like this happens.

DCFS is called when you let your kids stay with their grandparents? Um no. Or are you talking about a murder? It depends on who and where the murder happened.

Amanda there is clearly more to this than your telling us. However we are a website of volunteers. Most of us are NOT Lawyers and if some are they may not practice this kind of law or in your state. (read disclaimer) seek legal counsel from a local Attorney

Legal Disclaimer: The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only. When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people. The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience. The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states. It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made. All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance. Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege. For purposes of New York and New Jersey State ethics rules, please take notice that this website and its case reviews may constitute attorney advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back