Denied bonus check

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost10458

I worked for my previous employer who offered bonus checks upon completing 1000 hours. At 1000 hours you were entitled to a $650 check, anything under 1000 hours was prorated. I worked the 1000 hours and never received my bonus. When I received my w-2 forms for that year, I noticed the employer did include wages from my bonus check in my earnings. After several calls to payroll (this took them 2 years to give me a response) they searched their records and explained that I had "cashed the check". I asked for a copy of the check and they agreed. It has been two weeks and no copy. I called them again and they said they realized I never received the check, because I wasn't eligible for the check due to the fact I was not working at that time (although I was still an employee). I had changed status from full time to per diem, as I was a college student. Is there any way I can collect my pay since I already payed taxes on it?

I worked for my previous employer who offered bonus checks upon completing 1000 hours. At 1000 hours you were entitled to a $650 check, anything under 1000 hours was prorated. I worked the 1000 hours and never received my bonus. When I received my w-2 forms for that year, I noticed the employer did include wages from my bonus check in my earnings. After several calls to payroll (this took them 2 years to give me a response) they searched their records and explained that I had "cashed the check". I asked for a copy of the check and they agreed. It has been two weeks and no copy. I called them again and they said they realized I never received the check, because I wasn't eligible for the check due to the fact I was not working at that time (although I was still an employee). I had changed status from full time to per diem, as I was a college student. Is there any way I can collect my pay since I already payed taxes on it?

No, but you can get a corrected W2.
Then you'd have to file an amended tax return for two years ago.
But, on $650, its hardly worth it.
Besides, the IRS might find something you don't want them to see.
Not accusing you, but I would let a sleeping dog lie.

If you still want to do it, as the employer to give you a corrected W2 for the year of the error.
Then you'll have to manually file a corrected 1040 form using the corrected W2.
The IRS can give you the necessary forms and instructions.

Good luck!

I totally agree with Army that it would NOT be worth the effort to amend for taxes paid on $650.

Yet if you decide to file anyway, do it soon. There is a three year statute of limitations on claiming refunds. Once that three years is past, your rights to claim a refund is gone forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back