defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkoester

My name is John Koester, I have been self employed in Las Vegas for about 7 yrs, in the retail automotive glass industry .

In January of 2004 I was hired to work for Pilkington North America Glass a wholesale automotive glass company new to Las Vegas Nevada, I was hired as warehouse manager. I was interview by Kyle Ambrose( market manager) for Pilkington, in that interview he had ask me if I had any enemies in the glass industry that would effect the companies growth in Las Vegas, I told him no that I really never associated with any of the other shops in town, and the only problem I had was with Mygrant Glass the other wholesale automotive glass company in town, because I had filed bankruptcy against them in 2000 they had basically told several of the other glass shops in town that they didn't want to do business with me.

On January 20th the day after I was hired at Pilkington, the warehouse manager of Mygrant Glass, Phil Kaplan and the salesman for Mygrant glass, Tom Foley found out that pilkington had hired me, and they began spreading rumors around town that I "was a piece of crap and a thief" and they couldn't believe that I got the job. One of Mygrants delivery drivers (Jimmy) told another retail shop that "I was probably going to selling glass out the back door." One day after I was hired kyle ambrose had sent me to Washington for training, mean while Kyle was doing sales calls in Las Vegas, during those sales calls Kyle was hearing all these bad things about me from some of the retail glass shops in town, so he called me and said "buddy this is really scaring me, every sales call I make and mention your name the customer freaks out and begins to tell me all these bad thing about you". then Kyle says to me "I ask them if they even know John and they reply, "no I've never meet him but this is what we've herd from Mygrant. This went on for the two weeks I was in training and not knowing for sure weather or not I was going to get fired was constantly on my mind. Things finally settled down after a couple of months, and then one day Kyle came to me and said "you know that all these rumors that Mygrant is spreading about you, if you wanted you would have a very good slander suit against them". In July of 2004 my father in-law past away and my mother was ill my mother in-law was ill so I thought it would be in my best interest to quit and start another retail auto glass business out of my house so that I could schedule around all of the family problems. So I did just that I quit pilkington in august of 2004 and left after giving them two weeks notice.

In November 2004 Phil Kaplan of Mygrant Glass delivered a part to Service Auto Glass, and in a conversation with the will call department he had told them that " John didn't quit pilkington he was fired for steeling and that John had one of Pilkington drivers deliver glass to his house and got caught".

This is a list of companies and people that have herd derogatory remarks made about me by Phil Kaplan, Tom Foley and office manager Donna Lockard and a driver named Jimmy. Mygrant Glass is based in California, but operations of business in several states.

A-1 Glass
A-Construction Glass
Southwest Auto Glass
Auto Glass Direct
Mark O'Brion
Team Acme
Low Price Auto Glass
Elite Auto Glass
C.R. Auto Glass
Greg Thill
Kyle Ambrose.

On June 18, 2005 I replied to an ad in the local news paper SUB-CONTRACT AUTO GLASS INSTALLERS NEEDED. The owner of the company (Jason) called me and said that he would start sending work orders to me in a couple of days, they company just starting locally and their main office was in San Diego. On the 21st of June I received a call from the office secretary (Karen) needing my fax number so that they could fax over some jobs, and then she said your parts will be on will call at Mygrant Glass I told her that Mygrant glass didn't like me and I told her to call and talk to Phil Kaplan at Mygrant and let him know that I would be the one picking up the parts. After not hearing from Karen I called her back and she said your right they don't want you on their property and that Karen or someone else would have to pick up the parts and meet me with them, so that could do the work. Suddenly business was slow and she had no work for me.

do i have a case?

It could well be, but it would need to be looked at closely. One thing to look at would be statute of limitations issues, here in NY for example a defamation suit must be brought within one year. I don't know how the law in Nevada is.

Then you would need proof. You would also want to show how it damaged you, though it might not be necessary, it depends on the local law.

You should consult an attorney to discuss these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back