Defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDWestbrook

I am looking for an attorney that will handle my case. I served a local congregation of an international church for seven years. Not in an official capacity, merely as a volunteer to assist the local pastor in his duties. I was able to help many individuals over the seven years and built a very good reputation along with the love and respect of many. An elder and his wife moved into the area and began to systematically destroy my reputation. They were soon given the official office of pastor for the area through lies and deceit. Shortly after, the new pastors wife openly accused me of being an alcoholic and drug addict. ( not true) I was taken off the speaking assignment list, and no longer able to open and close in prayer. Essentially I was shown to be guilty by ommision from duties. It was said that it was because that I did not set the proper example for the congregation. The new pastor and his wife also broke my confidence by revealing highly sensitive information about my past to an individual in the congregation, which goes against ministerial ethics. I have letters from members of the congregation which prove all that I say is true. It is my desire to sue the church for damages and to insure that this sort of thing never happens again.

It sounds like you may have a case for defamation based upon the letters but you may need to hire an attorney to take your case. The first thing you need to do is evaluate what your damages are. Are there other remedies besides legal? They may be more effective. Why did th elder and his wife just decide to ruin your reputation? What part of the story am I missing?

Originally posted by LDWestbrook
I am looking for an attorney that will handle my case. I served a local congregation of an international church for seven years. Not in an official capacity, merely as a volunteer to assist the local pastor in his duties. I was able to help many individuals over the seven years and built a very good reputation along with the love and respect of many. An elder and his wife moved into the area and began to systematically destroy my reputation. They were soon given the official office of pastor for the area through lies and deceit. Shortly after, the new pastors wife openly accused me of being an alcoholic and drug addict. ( not true) I was taken off the speaking assignment list, and no longer able to open and close in prayer. Essentially I was shown to be guilty by ommision from duties. It was said that it was because that I did not set the proper example for the congregation. The new pastor and his wife also broke my confidence by revealing highly sensitive information about my past to an individual in the congregation, which goes against ministerial ethics. I have letters from members of the congregation which prove all that I say is true. It is my desire to sue the church for damages and to insure that this sort of thing never happens again.

as it was mentioned above, you might have a valid defamation case if you can prove that these allegations were made, that they were wrong, that you had damage etc. The usuall defamation stuff.

Otherwise don't expect any help from the courts. The courts traditionally do not interfere in matters of internal church organization.

I am uncertain of the motives of the elders wife other than she may have just been trying to get me out of the way when I would not chime in with thier effforts to try to replace of our Pastor. It was made clear earlier on that the elder was looking to get hired on full time and felt that he could do a better job. What I did not reveal in my first post is that they got rid of our pastor with aligations of alcoholism and misappropriation of funds. All untrue and provable. It was originally hoped that the leadership would see their mistake and rectify it. That is not happening, for to do so would be admiting guilt on their part. They are just hoping that it will just go away. As for my damages, I have been releaved of all duties, sermons, opening and closing prayers, and to top it all off, my fiancee broke off our ingagement due to all the contraversy and stress. The elder and his wife early on went to her and broke my confidence and revealed something very senstive in nature that happened to me 12 years ago that put doubt in her mind about me. Also untrue. I have been cut off from my friends with threats from the leadership that contact with me would only serve to cause discord. Any efforts on my part to prove my innocence or the innocence of our pastor is being viewed as sowing discord by the leadership. I would say that I have suffered much damage. I have also spearheaded several efforts to try to get finacial help for the needy which have been denied from home office. I have, however been successful in acquiring soc.sec. disability for several individuals and vets benefits for two others. Not to pat myself on the back, but I guess you could say that I am a kind of Robinhood type, which is in effect the way that any monitary gains would go should I decide to go that direction. I hope this has helped to explain more of the situation and my motives

The world definitely needs people like you who help the needy.

I don't understand why your friends all won't help you and why you are left alone especially when the elder was getting rid of the Pastor. What happened to everyone else? How about the congregation? Why is everyone going along with this if everyone should know and see the corruption?

This is a tough position and I am unsure why these two people have been permitted to uproot those who have been installed for years. I'm still missing something key here.

Originally posted by LDWestbrook
I am uncertain of the motives of the elders wife other than she may have just been trying to get me out of the way when I would not chime in with thier effforts to try to replace of our Pastor. It was made clear earlier on that the elder was looking to get hired on full time and felt that he could do a better job. What I did not reveal in my first post is that they got rid of our pastor with aligations of alcoholism and misappropriation of funds. All untrue and provable. It was originally hoped that the leadership would see their mistake and rectify it. That is not happening, for to do so would be admiting guilt on their part. They are just hoping that it will just go away. As for my damages, I have been releaved of all duties, sermons, opening and closing prayers, and to top it all off, my fiancee broke off our ingagement due to all the contraversy and stress. The elder and his wife early on went to her and broke my confidence and revealed something very senstive in nature that happened to me 12 years ago that put doubt in her mind about me. Also untrue. I have been cut off from my friends with threats from the leadership that contact with me would only serve to cause discord. Any efforts on my part to prove my innocence or the innocence of our pastor is being viewed as sowing discord by the leadership. I would say that I have suffered much damage. I have also spearheaded several efforts to try to get finacial help for the needy which have been denied from home office. I have, however been successful in acquiring soc.sec. disability for several individuals and vets benefits for two others. Not to pat myself on the back, but I guess you could say that I am a kind of Robinhood type, which is in effect the way that any monitary gains would go should I decide to go that direction. I hope this has helped to explain more of the situation and my motives

Your not missing anything, if you understand human nature. As I think I mentioned before, the reason people don't stand up is that if they do they will be branded as sowing discord. Not to mention, many are like sheep and are being told to just wait and God will work it out. They don't reolize that God works through people. I must ask. Are you anyone who can help? Legally I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back