Defamation Due To Negligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan Crush

Jurisdiction
Ohio
So I knew this person online who has for the past year and a half stated numerous times that I'm a psychopath. These statements are made as though they are facts. I am a private person and believe this person believes the accusation. However based on the fact they don't provide any evidence other than non-contextual examples or vague statements about me; along with showing that they've done no research on the symptoms of psychopathy as they never cite any sources and they one time mixed up psychopathy and psychosis and didn't correct themselves. I was wondering if they could be liable for defamation by negligence.

You haven't hit on any of the essential parts necessary for defamation. Whether he did any research or not or provided evidence to back it up is immaterial.

To whom did he make these statements? They need to be made to someone else. Just insulting you is not defamation.
What is your damage?

Hopefully, you are neither a psychopath or have a psychosis. If you think you're going to get defamation suit over splitting hairs there, you likely aren't going to prevail.

Further, I refer you to the great attorney Louis Nizer about defamation suits. Such defamation is often like getting mud splashed on your coat. Now you can go vigorously attack it smearing it all over the place, or you can give it some time and it will dry up and flake off.

they made the claims on some Discord servers to some few dozen people, it is in attempt to destroy my reputation and friendships

though it seems no one (especially no of my friends) believe them so I guess annoyance is the only damage
thanks for the answer
Conclusion: scummy and dumb, but not defamation

Before I address your question, please provide the following information:

1. Is the person who made the statements about you a psychologist or a psychiatrist (or any other sort of mental health professional)?

2. To whom were these statements made?

3. Does any person to whom the statements were made believe the person who made the statements to be a mental health professional?

4. Is there any evidence that anyone who heard or read the statements believed them to be true? Based on your follow up post, it sounds like the answer is no.

5. Did the statements refer to you by your actual name or was it something like "zddoodah is ***ing psychopath!"?

6. What damages, if any, have you suffered as a result of these statements?

1. no, they're a programmer
2. mutual peers and friends of ours
3. no
4. yeah, the answer is no
5. no, though they did say "Nolan" and all my friends online know me by that name so it could've effected me
6. It's annoying but no one believes them so I guess nothing serious.

7. Since I have an answer to the question does that mean I close the thread? (if that's possible)

Since I have an answer to the question does that mean I close the thread? (if that's possible)

I'll close the thread for you, per your request above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back