Deciphering a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage

Cassian Andor

Jurisdiction
California
Hello The Law team and friends.

I'm sitting in an awkward position. A younger family member is dating a previously married man.

She claims this is what has transpired:
  • He is originally from India. He was working on an H1B visa residing in the U.S.
  • In 2010, he visited India to get married and shortly thereafter returned to the U.S. with his now presumably ex-wife
  • They moved back to India around 2011 but decided to separate around 2012
  • However, the divorce proceedings apparently dragged due to the nature of Indian divorce laws
  • It's vague when things finally settled. But from what he implied it couldn't have been much later than 2015/16.
My younger family member and him started dating in mid-2020. There is a significant age gap (10+ years). She's still in her 20s. I'm naturally concerned about her maturity and decision-making. I felt the need to do a lightweight look into him given they'd been dating now for 2+ years.

One of the first google hits was a legal case related to his past divorce filing in a Northern California county. It reads accordingly:
    • Petition for Dissolution of Marriage Filed
    • Summons Issued and Filed
    • Notice of Progress of Family Law Action Filed
    • Request Re: Dismissal w/o prejudice - entire action Filed
    • Request Re: Dismissal w/o prejudice - entire action Entered

This^ legal timeline in the U.S. doesn't seem to line up with his account of getting married and divorced around 2010-15. Should I be concerned? Should I ask the younger family member to get more clarity regarding his situation and marital status at the time?

Should I be concerned?

If a matter doesn't INVOLVE YOU, why would you become concerned relative to it?

Beyond that, court documentation should be far more reliable than the lies and tales a lothario spews!

Should I ask the younger family member to get more clarity regarding his situation and marital status at the time?

I wouldn't bother.

Why?

None of that mess directly concerns or affects you.

Besides, your relative is in love with the cad.

There's NOTHING you could do or say, to disabuse the love stricken female with the LOVE infection she has acquired for the lying lothario!

To paraphrase Miranda Warnings, "anything you say that's negative about her love interest will be used against you to convince others that you don't want her to be happy."

Sorry, didn't mean to strike a nerve with this community. Perhaps I'm being overly protective of my younger cousin. None of the family is particularly thrilled about the situation.

Sorry, didn't mean to strike a nerve with this community. Perhaps I'm being overly protective of my younger cousin. None of the family is particularly thrilled about the situation.

No apology needed, mate.

People can disagree, while not becoming disagreeable.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope everything is better for all concerned in the end.

You still possess free will.

No one controls you, mate.

You control, yourself.

• However, the divorce proceedings apparently dragged due to the nature of Indian divorce laws
  • It's vague when things finally settled. But from what he implied it couldn't have been much later than 2015/16.

Not really sure what this means, but I assume you're giving us second or third-hand information.

It reads accordingly

What is "it"? Is the information coming directly from the court's online docket?

Should I be concerned?

No. This has nothing at all to do with you.

Should I ask the younger family member to get more clarity regarding his situation and marital status at the time?

Absolutely not. You are, of course, free to share the information you found with your cousin and express whatever concerns you have. What she does with that information is entirely up to her.

Not really sure what this means, but I assume you're giving us second or third-hand information.

What is "it"? Is the information coming directly from the court's online docket?

No. This has nothing at all to do with you.

Absolutely not. You are, of course, free to share the information you found with your cousin and express whatever concerns you have. What she does with that information is entirely up to her.

- Yes, second hand info from him via her.
- Yes, court's online docket.

The most you can or should do is share the information with your relative.

However, odds are that your young relative will not change her marriage plans based on that information. Tread lightly.

Back