1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Daughter turned 18 a year ago. I'm still paying. Help!

Discussion in 'Child Support' started by DSP71, Aug 29, 2021.

  1. DSP71

    DSP71 Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    My divorce took place in Pgh. The original support order was set there. Three years in, she asked to move to Ohio, which I signed off on, legally giving her permission. It was best for everyone but me. Bring selfless, I agreed. When I finally didn't have to pay spousal support, I moved back to Ohio, to have her tell me, I'm moving to Fla. I said, I'm not giving you legal permission to. She did anyway, which my only recourse was to file kidnapping charges. I wasn't willing to put my kids thought that, obviously. During that time, I had a modification hearing. I got screws there.

    Here's my issue. My daughter turned 18 over a year ago and should have emancipated from the order. I'm also eligible for a modification.

    Over the last 13 months i have left messages, sent emails, called their supposed boss...been switched case worked. To be sent back to the original and when I finally get in touch, she tells me,

    I'm waiting for the Fla. Post office to verify her address/, so I can send the packet. So I've been waiting a year, paying through the nose, so disproportionately disproportionately

    I've been waiting a year, paying through the nose, so disproportionately and when I'm eligible to have my daughter removed, my home state won't do anything to facilitate the process.

    She's from a very wealthy family and I'm not. However I was the bread winner, did very well and she didn't work. Worthy her resources, how much I lost in the actually divorce, I'm getting screwed and don't have the financial resources. What's and I supposed to do?
  2. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Should have? Did the order say CS terminated on her 18th birthday? If it didn't, that was a costly omission.

    If it did you could have just stopped paying.

    If you have to file for a modification, hire a private investigator in Florida who is also a process server. He'll find her and server.

    If you don't know what city, look on the back of your cancelled checks. The bank branch where the check was deposited is coded there and you can get the location from the bank or probably online these day.
  3. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Parents must pay child support in PA (the state that issued your original child support order) until the child is 18, but there are some exceptions.

    Child support would continue beyond age 18 if the child was still pursuing a high school diploma.

    Payments are cut short when a child becomes emancipated.

    A court could order child support payments for a disabled child to continue past the child's 18th birthday.

    Can a Support Order be Changed?

    Yes. Either party can ask a Domestic Relations Court to schedule a modification conference if personal/financial circumstances have changed.

    In PA, BOTH parents are responsible for paying their share of child support.

    You might wish to ask a lawyer why the mother isn't paying her fair share, assuming her share is unfair in your eyes!

    I suggest you speak to a couple lawyers in PA to see how you might go about seeking a modification of your existing order, if the order is still valid outside of PA (inside of PA only),

    These website you should find to be very informative:

    Pennsylvania Child Support Guidelines - FindLaw


    When Will My Child Support Payments End in Pennsylvania?
  4. zddoodah

    zddoodah Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I agree. Also, it's worth pointing out that New York* often requires child support well after a child turns 18.

    You need the assistance of a family law attorney.

    * - You didn't identify the state where the divorce took place, but I'm guessing "Pgh." is Poughkeepsie.
  5. Zigner

    Zigner Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    PGH is the (an) abbreviation for Pittsburgh, PA.
    (I do admit that I had to look it up.)

Share This Page