Custody

C

celeste.r77

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I was removed from my home in 2015 and my mother is severely mentally ill but the system doesn't see her as a bad parent. I'm going to be 18 in November and wanted to get custody of my sister. Shes 12 years old. What are my chances and what would i need to do?

I was removed from my home in 2015 and my mother is severely mentally ill but the system doesn't see her as a bad parent. I'm going to be 18 in November and wanted to get custody of my sister. Shes 12 years old. What are my chances and what would i need to do?

Mental illness isn't a disqualifying factor in being a parent or their rights. If she's getting abused, your sister, report it. If not, mind your own business. You're not going to get custody. What makes you think at 18 you should get custody of a child?

My deepest sympathy for what you've been forced to endure.

Unfortunately society lies when we're told the government cares about kids.

Therefore, without boring you and ranting, the acceptable standard for parenting is set very low.

If it were a sliding scale from 0 to 100, on this curve, passing or acceptable is about 25%.

All you can do is report anything that you believe is harming your little sister.

Back