Custody/Adoption/the who shebang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangapooh20

Long story, but I have a friend who ended up getting pregnant by this creep. He was never there during the pregnancy, has only seen the baby since she was born a dozen times (she is 1), he supposedly got a court order for visitation which is his right, but he never shows up when said. Anyway, on top of all this he, calls her an unfit mother, threatens to take the baby away, claims his order makes it so that my friend is not allowed to leave the county at all with the baby. My friend is having health issues of her own and knows she can not take care of the baby on her own at this time, but because of how this guy is does not want him to have custody either. My friends brother got a lawyer and tried to adopt the baby, but I guess the lawyer claims it won't or can't happen because there is not the right kind of court in the county my friend lives in? Weird but this is what he told her. I guess my, question is what exactly is the law? Does she have any rights as a mom in New York and does she have options as far as fighting for the right to give her to a family member or friend to adopt? Also I guess, someone has convinced her that she needs to have this guy sign away rights in order to have her baby adopted by someone else? I just need a little advice on how to help her and what advice to give her. I live in Utah so I can't just go get me a New York lawyer for her. Anybody have suggestions?

You can't advise her. She needs to speak personally with a couple of attorneys. Generally speaking, dad is NOT required to exercise his court ordered visitation. She, on the other hand, is NOT allowed to thwart or inhibit dad's visitation. This is just ONE problem when you BREED OR ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE BRED, out of wedlock.

She has many things to understand about parenting an out of wedlock baby. Only an attorney in her state can properly advise her. Laws vary in most states, although they have much in common.

She should seek a child support order through the court in her county of residence. Dad won't be allowed to just sign away his paternal rights. She will not easily be allowed to let her Aunt Clarice adopt the baby. In the USA, children are NOT considered to be chattel or property.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back