Current employer contacting prospective employer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliecat

I work at a private school and am being offered a new position for the upcoming year. I am under contract to my current school as they require us to re-sign our contracts in April (four months before the current contract expires). However, the contract clearly states clearly it may be terminated by either party with 30 days written notice.
Although the new position hasn't actually been finalized, I pre-emptively tendered my resignation in an effort to abide by the terms of my contract. I am trying to handle this as professionally and fairly as possible, still my current employer was less than pleased.
They have said they cannot use me for the final week, which is fine. Regardless, I am available to work for the entire 30 days, and in my mind I am upholding the terms of the contract.

Also, the head of the school is requesting that I have the prospective (soon-to-be-current) school contact her. She wants to tell them that they have done something wrong and unethical by hiring someone contracted to another school. I reiterated that 'I' am the one terminating my contract, I pursued this opportunity, and that they were not aware of my contract, but she was firm in this. I have no intention of having this school contact her, as I feel it would jeopardize the opportunity.
I got the feeling she might try to contact the potential school herself, though ironically that would be unethical on her part. I feel as though this would be a violation of my rights and privacy.
My questions are these:
  • Can my current school say I breached my contract? (Whether they use me or not, I have given the full notice required.)
  • Can my current head of school contact the new school to talk to (reprimand) them?
  • Would I be able to take legal action against my current school if her actions jeopardized this job opportunity?

Thanks!

1.) If they believe you have, yes.

2.) There's no law prohibiting it. In the absence of a law prohibiting them from contacting your new employers, they may.

3.) IF their actions result in your losing the new job, it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back