CPS moving to terminate parental rights! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelsearae5489

My two children have been in a foster home, under CPS care, since April, 2011. They were removed by court order due to my husband and I's involvement with drugs. Since their removal, my husband and I have done nothing but comply with whatever CPS has asked us to do, and complete our service plan. We are allowed one visit a week, one hour a week at a play therapist office. Our case was extended to 18 months this April due to our living situation, and our final trial set for July 17. In one of our last visits with our caseworker, it was discussed that reunification would most likely go ahead and begin after our hearing on the 17th. However, we recently took a hair test, my results came back negative, and my husbands came back positive with lower levels of meth. Every hair test before this has came back negative (except my initial test that was taken right after the case was opened). In light of these results, CPS is now saying that our children will not be returned to us. My caseworker's supervisor explained that since our case is so close to the final hearing, that they aren't will to work with us any further and will begin the process of terminating our parental rights soon. I was told that even if my husband and I were to get a divorce and live apart, that my children would still not be returned to me because CPS couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't get back together with my husband. Needless to say, my husband and I are now waiting on court appointed attorneys to be assigned to us, but the process will take around 2 weeks for us to get one. I need some kind of advice of what I should do until our attorneys are assigned to us. CPS should be postponing the final trial date until after they speak to our attorney's, but it's not guaranteed. Please someone help. Is CPS really able to terminate my rights if I have been in compliance this whole time?

The short answer is "yes", your rights can be terminated if CPS makes a strong enough case before the court.

CPS can't terminate your parental rights. But, a district court judge can. I suggest you wait to discuss this with your appointed counsel, who'll vigorously, and competently defend and protect your rights. Don't worry about dates, continuances, because your attorney will need time to research your case. Bottom line, he'll seek continuances, and they'll be granted. It's highly doubtful, that your rights will be pro forma terminated without due process issuing.

Only a court can remove your rights. However courts placed great value on the opinion of children's services.

Never ever depend on your appt counsel. If he doesnt do as he says or refuses to. Offer evidence anything you see as wrong stand up and ask to alproach bench to make judge aware on record of your problem if necessary and he fails to allow approach blurt it out. Only counsel allowd to be appted in that court is decided by judge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back