Copyright Copyright infringement

Taylor111

Jurisdiction
Florida
I published a book with poems and less than a year later, a very well known singer copied it and wrote a hit song. The lyrics are very similar and the content is unique, never been sung or written in poetry form before. I was hurt when I heard the song because it came from a deep place where I was confronting adversity in the work-place. My poems are copyrighted but I know I am not a well known writer so that is what is making this difficult for me. However, I did have over 200 online downloads of my work proving that it has been in circulation. I am not looking to sue for money, it would have just been nice to obtain credit for my work that I invest so much time in. I dont have tons of money to go to court. What do you suggest?

What do you suggest?

If you're not interested in pursuing legal action against the the person(s) who committed a tort against your interests, why did you seek information on a legal discussion site?

If, on the other hand, you are interested in pursuing any legal remedies against your interests, I suggest you speak with three or four lawyers in the county of your residence.

The lawyers will advise you any potential remedies available to you.

I just feel as if i should deserve some credit but not sure how to go about that. I will speak to a few more attorneys, thanks for your response

The crook already stole your work. He's not going to give you credit.

That's why you sue for money.

Might be enough money involved for a lawyer to take it on contingency where you don't pay unless he wins.

I am not looking to sue for money

Then don't waste the time or money to sue.

it would have just been nice to obtain credit for my work that I invest so much time in.

I'm sure it would have been. However, you're operating on the assumption that the person who wrote the song in question took the lyrics from your "book." Given that only 200 copies were sold, that seems unlikely. In order to sue successfully for copyright infringement, you will have to prove two things: similarity and access. Do you have any evidence that the songwriter saw your "book"?

What do you suggest?

If you want to sue, consult with an attorney because no one who hasn't seen your book or who doesn't know the song can offer you much of anything that will be useful. If you don't want to sue, then move on with your life.

I just feel as if i should deserve some credit but not sure how to go about that.

Then contact the management of the artist and, if different, the songwriter and some folks with the record label.

Back