Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders cops said its against the law to take my kids to the park or carnivals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockandaww

Hello, the cops now said my guilty conviction from 1997 since a new law passed in IL in 2011 January 1st saying sex offenders cant be in the park and unlawful restraint in IL is consider a sex offense I cant take my kids
to the park,school carnivals, fairs or anywhere kids gather. I did not commit a sex crime the states attorney already said my crime back in 1997 was non sexual in any way! Why am I getting punished for same thing over and over. I am so scared for my kids and me. I cant raise my kids! How can I fight this! I love my kids and just want them to live a normal life and have fun growing up dont they have rights. Dont I have rights to supervise my kids in the park or carnival or take them to school! My crime was 14 years ago a non sexual offense. Unlawful restraint. I did my time but keep getting punished over and over and over again. What am I suppose to do?

Come on, you can visit the school your children attend to oversee their academic progress.

The other restrictions are best obeyed.

Violate those restrictions and you could end up in the hoosegow and lose custody of your children.

All you must do is obey the law.

The police, God bless them, are merely doing their job; enforcing our laws and protecting the public.

If you don't like the law, organize, protest, lobby your legislature. They are the one's who made the law. If you want it changed, contact them. Until it is changed, you'd be wise to obey it!!!!

As of January 1, 2011, it is unlawful for a sexual predator or a child sex offender to knowingly be present in any public park building or on the real property comprising any public park. The definition of public park includes a park, forest preserve, or conservation area under the jurisdiction of the state or unit of local government. A person who violates this is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Exempts child sex offenders convicted of Criminal Sexual Abuse (720 ILCS 5/12-15-b) and Sexual Abuse (720 ILCS 5/12-15-c).

cops said the filed a report with states attorney and told me and my kids to leave the park and not to come back also said he would arrest me if he see me with my kids at any function for them. I pleaded guilty to unlawful restraint in 1997 i was 24 at the time victim was 17 and we was in a fight and I held him down not sexual offense but cop said my unlawful restraint class me as a child sex offender. How am I suppose to raise my kids if I cant supervise them and watch out for them?

As of January 1, 2011, it is unlawful for a sexual predator or a child sex offender to knowingly be present in any public park building or on the real property comprising any public park. The definition of public park includes a park, forest preserve, or conservation area under the jurisdiction of the state or unit of local government. A person who violates this is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Exempts child sex offenders convicted of Criminal Sexual Abuse (720 ILCS 5/12-15-b) and Sexual Abuse (720 ILCS 5/12-15-c).

cops said the filed a report with states attorney and told me and my kids to leave the park and not to come back also said he would arrest me if he see me with my kids at any function for them. I pleaded guilty to unlawful restraint in 1997 i was 24 at the time victim was 17 and we was in a fight and I held him down not sexual offense but cop said my unlawful restraint class me as a child sex offender. How am I suppose to raise my kids if I cant supervise them and watch out for them?

Your victim was not an adult.
Your victim was a child.
You may have "pled' guilty to an unlawful restraint charge.
That wasn't the original charge, was it?
You were charged with some sort of sexual assault charge or offense.
You were very lucky to be allowed to 'cop' to a lesser and included offense.
Society sees terrorists and child molesters everywhere.
You know precisely what you did and how it ended.
How would you have liked this to have happened to you at age 17?
As I said above, follow the law.

If you doubt what the police officer told you, go back in the park and get arrested.
You then become a test case to get the law overturned.

I wouldn't advise you doing this, however.
I suggest you follow the law.
You can't be in the park, but your kids can.

no I didnt plead to a lesser charge that was the charge. ANYWAY good news called the state police sex registration unit and
they looked up my case and said local cops are dead wrong I can be in park with or without my kids for me to call chief of police
and let him know. They also said if they need a lesson in the law for them to call the state police down at the capital. They also said for me to let the states attorney know once he signed off on my crime years ago saying it was not sexually related in anyway that made me not have to comply with any sex offender laws new statues of any kind. State police pulled up my file
and said they have on record the states attorney letter saying my crime was not a sex crime or sexually in anyway. THank god but chief police said he nots aware of it but LOL if i get arrest know I got the state police expert to stand up for me thank god!

The police officer does not have the authority to prevent you from going to these places. You can go any time you like.
However, there may be consequences if there is a law that says you ought not to.
You should check with a local attorney who can review the circumstances of your case and advise you on the new state law.

no I didnt plead to a lesser charge that was the charge. ANYWAY good news called the state police sex registration unit and
they looked up my case and said local cops are dead wrong I can be in park with or without my kids for me to call chief of police
and let him know. They also said if they need a lesson in the law for them to call the state police down at the capital. They also said for me to let the states attorney know once he signed off on my crime years ago saying it was not sexually related in anyway that made me not have to comply with any sex offender laws new statues of any kind. State police pulled up my file
and said they have on record the states attorney letter saying my crime was not a sex crime or sexually in anyway. THank god but chief police said he nots aware of it but LOL if i get arrest know I got the state police expert to stand up for me thank god!

You also may have grounds for a good civil suit against the department if they follow through. You should have a talk with people in high places at that department and let them pass that information back down the chain to the dimwit that threatened you in the first place.

Question: Are you required to register as a sex offender?

And while the state police may have a different take, if the law as written prohibits people with your conviction from entering those places, the police can act on that and let the court sort it out later. All because they are the state police does not mean they are necessarily correct.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/faq.cfm

Any felony or misdemeanor conviction or adjudication of any of the following statutes require registration:
Unlawful Restraint, if the victim is under age 18 and the defendant is not the parent of the victim and the offense was sexually motivated as defined in Section 10 of the Sex Offender Management Board Act and the offense was committed on or after January 1, 1996;

Aggravated Unlawful Restraint, if the victim is under age 18 and the defendant is not the parent of the victim and the offense was sexually motivated as defined in Section 10 of the Sex Offender Management Board Act and the offense was committed on or after January 1, 1996;

Further ...

Are sex offenders allowed on school grounds?
It is unlawful for a child sex offender to be present in any school building or property, or loiter within 500 feet of school property without the permission of the superintendent or school board, or in the case of a private school the principal unless the child sex offender is a parent of a child at that school, and the parent is on school grounds for one of the following reasons:

to attend a conference at the school with school personnel to discuss the progress of his or her child academically or socially;
to participate in child review conferences in which evaluation and placement decisions may be made with respect to his or her child regarding special education services;
to attend conferences to discuss other student issues concerning his or her child such as retention and promotion.

Are sex offenders allowed in parks?

Was your victim UNDER 18 at the time? If so, read this:

http://law.onecle.com/illinois/720ilcs5/11-9.3.html

Note where it includes a violation of 10-3 (unlawful restraint) as a "sex offense."

And here is 10-3 by itself:

(720 ILCS 5/10‑3) (from Ch. 38, par. 10‑3)
Sec. 10‑3. Unlawful restraint.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful restraint when he or she knowingly without legal authority detains another.
(b) Sentence. Unlawful restraint is a Class 4 felony.

So, the only hope I see for you is the hope that your offense involved an adult and not a minor.

So, how old was the victim? If under 18 then it would appear on first blush that the prohibitions do apply.

The OP has indicated the victim was only 17, but that the circumstances were not sexual in nature as evidenced in the attorney's letter- therefor the above statute does not apply.

The OP has indicated the victim was only 17, but that the circumstances were not sexual in nature as evidenced in the attorney's letter- therefor the above statute does not apply.
Hence the reason I asked if he is required to register. If he is not required to register, he should be okay. If he IS required to register, then someone is having a disconnect moment.

Moose and CDW, you guys are out there everyday.
How many times has someone told you one version of an incident, and you later find out important fact(s) were left out?
People tend to color or flavor a story to best reflect their innocence.
There is much more to this "tale" than has been revealed.
This ain't no, "And, they lived happily ever after".
No, this is more of "Once upon a time in land far, far away; on a dark and stormy night..."!!!

These tidbits reveal there is a there, there: "I pleaded guilty to unlawful restraint in 1997 i was 24 at the time victim was 17 and we was in a fight and I held him down not sexual offense but cop said my unlawful restraint class me as a child sex offender."

Last edited:
Moose and CDW, you guys are out there everyday.
How many times has someone told you one version of an incident, and you later find out important fact(s) were left out?

Yes... but we could spend all day filling in the blanks many different ways. Until that extra info is added in it is easiest just to go off of what is given.... at least on here anyway...

My curiosity is piqued from the practical side ... how did he come to the attention of the cops unless he was already a registered sex offender? If he was not registered, how and why would the cops even have an interest in running his criminal history to see if he had any past offenses that MIGHT disqualify him from taking his kid to school or a carnival ...

It just seems a tad ... odd.

My curiosity is piqued from the practical side ... how did he come to the attention of the cops unless he was already a registered sex offender? If he was not registered, how and why would the cops even have an interest in running his criminal history to see if he had any past offenses that MIGHT disqualify him from taking his kid to school or a carnival ...

It just seems a tad ... odd.

You know that a police officer can't just run around running criminal histories on anyone.
That line of thinking is what caused me to be so skeptical in the first place, coupled with the "tidbit" about a 24 year old man HOLDING DOWN a 17 year old BOY!
I've never engaged in that kind of conduct with an acquaintance, and I don't think you have, either!

Plus, the OP states that he was 24 years old at the time he pled to the charge, and his victim was 17 years old.

Do the math, fellas, at the time of the "incident" or "struggle", the victim had to be 16 years old and the "PERP" must have been 23 years old.
Odd?
I think so.
Cases of these sorts often take nine months to a year to get pled out!
This didn't happen on a Monday, and the guy was allowed to "cop" his plea that Thursday!!!!

Last edited:
no I am not required to register as a sex offender but in IL unlawful restraint non sexual when victim is under 18 has to register as a violent offender against youth registry.

lol and you say 17 year old boy man the small town we have alot of fighting going on. Even when I was 16 I had to fight 22 and 23 olds from the next town over cause we had sort of like town wars. High Schools never got along and older crowds always stuck up for there own. Young and stupid I know but thats the way it was. My problem was I told him he couldnt get up and made him stay on the ground for around 10 or 15 minutes while I drank a beer with my other buddy who was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back