Cops pulled me over trying to see if what they did was legal

D

Drakexx

Jurisdiction
Texas
So late last night I was with three girls that I haven't seen in about a year at this park needle my house, it was late around 1:30 but my mom knew I was out and was only 3 blocks away from home. The girls got tired and decided to leave, so I did the same. I was walking home and I noticed a black car coming down a block I was walking through. I looked closer a knew it was a cop. I know how the cops are in my town so the first thing I did was walk twords then known they would pull me over no matter what. I walked to the car and said "how are you doing tonight officer" and went through the usual procedure that I do around police, he asked me my name, date of birth, address, ECT. I answered all questions. He asked me where I was before and what I was doing. Also I answered honestly. I thought everything was going pretty smooth. He called in another cops to which I asked why and he told me it was just procedure. I understood and let it be. All the sudden when the next cop came he took a completely different tone with me and started saying I was up to no good and that he could smell alcohol on my shirt and breathe. The part that upsets me about this is that I had absolutely no alcohol in me or even near me that whole night. I play football and I vowed to my coach not to drink. So I don't, when he said that I freak out a little and said that I smell like my cologne, and that he could bretheilize me too prove that. He send under my situation as a minor I don't legally have the right to request any sort of blood alcohol tests. All he had to do is smell the odor on me and he can give me and MIC, which to I responded too again, as then please bretheilize me so I can prove too you I come out at a 0.00, cause I'm being falsely accused of alcohol odor on me. He ended up just telling me that if I want to make this difficult I can. So I shut up about it, he proceeds to then try and make me look dumb by asking where the girls live, I really didn't know they're address or street. So he said in the most sarcastic tone "so you don't know where your friends live, that's a first". He then proceeded to search me and he found my vaporizer, not for weed but nicotine. Looked at it asked if it was a vape and I said yes. He put it back in my pocket and knowing I was 17 never said a word about it again after. The one thing he could've charged me for was the one thing he let be. He then took my water bottle sniffed it and gave it back. I was put in the back of the squad car and taken home. My mom was waiting and the cops told her what had happened. The cop said he "let me off with an MIC, because he smelled the odor on me and that I was lucky I wasn't being charged" I walked in the house and the first thing my mom does was smell all over me. She didn't catch a single scent of alcohol and was wondering how they did. I didn't get charged thank god but I don't understand how I could've got charged without a proven bretheilizer test.

As the officer sad, all he needed to do was simply SAY HE SMELLED ALCOHOL on you to cite you for MIC in Texas.

In the future, it might be wise to stay out of parks after your local park closure time. For instance, in my city, all parks close at 11:00 PM.

You got some guff, gave some guff, and lived to talk about your night.
Be careful out there, son, the streets can be hazardous to your health these days.

While their tactics may be annoying they are not necessarily illegal. Understand that police are regularly lied to and have a tendency to not take you at your word, not should they if they are going to be effective at their jobs.
You were likely in a park after hours and possibly in violation of a local curfew as a minor. Don't give them a reason to contact you and you won't have these troubles.

I walked to the car and said "how are you doing tonight officer" and went through the usual procedure that I do around police,

You're 17 and you already have a "usual procedure" that you do around police?

Yikes.

Maybe you ought to rethink how you live, sonny. All these things that the police let slide with juveniles after they've put a scare into them suddenly reach monumental and catastrophic proportions when you are 18 and an adult.

Agree with adjusterjack & kind of late for a minor to be out.

Back