Contractor says they are going to sue

Cait

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
Hello all,

I apologize if this is chopped and screwed. I will explain to the best of my knowledge. So I needed to get my roof on my home repaired due to my home insurance. I called Company A, to look and see how much it will be to get the roof redone. He decided to see if I can get a wind damage claim. He filled out that paperwork spoke to my insurance company. Gave me information about a "claim tracker" for my claim. My insurance company decided to go through with the claim. So I contacted Company A about the claim being approved. When I asked how much will the out of pocket cost they never gave me a number. I asked how much will the whole job come up to cost, he asked to see the paper work my insurance company sent me. I gave him partial of the paperwork. He never gave me the total and asked me to give him the checks. I told him my insurance company told me I need to send it to my mortgage company, he told me his company does all of that. I started to feel uncomfortable about the whole situation, so I decided to go with another company. He contacted me and left me a message saying I had until the end of the week to contact him or he was turning in the "contract" to his boss. A week later he text me saying this was his final time contacting me before he hand over the "contract." I honestly do not remember signing a contract. So I got in touch with them about sending me the contract so I can look at it, and was told to contact their lawyer.
Thank you

So I got in touch with them about sending me the contract so I can look at it, and was told to contact their lawyer.

Have you contacted your insurer?

It might be advantageous for YOU to speak with your insurer's adjuster, or other such insurance official.

No because I did not know I needed to call them. I never told my insurance company I was going with them. When they sent me paperwork of who I was going with I gave it to the other roofing company that did the job.

No because I did not know I needed to call them. I never told my insurance company I was going with them. When they sent me paperwork of who I was going with I gave it to the other roofing company that did the job.

If your insurer paid for the work (or offered to pay for the work), the insurer MIGHT be able to assist you in untangling your predicament.

He contacted me and left me a message saying I had until the end of the week to contact him or he was turning in the "contract" to his boss. A week later he text me saying this was his final time contacting me before he hand over the "contract." I honestly do not remember signing a contract. So I got in touch with them about sending me the contract so I can look at it, and was told to contact their lawyer.

Sounds like you were a potential victim of the scam where these fly-by-night roofers go door to door offering you a new roof that they can get your insurance to pay for. Your instinct was right to avoid them. You have no obligation to those people. You don't need to call their lawyer. I suggest you ignore them, block their calls and texts. And if they ever come to your door tell them to ef off or you'll call the police.

I think your insurance company adjuster is likely to tell you the same thing. ;)

Thank you! I knew something was not right when he asked to see my paperwork with how much I was getting, and the insurance quote of how much the job should be. Then asked me to hand the check over with no "total"

Thank you! I knew something was not right when he asked to see my paperwork with how much I was getting, and the insurance quote of how much the job should be. Then asked me to hand the check over with no "total"

In states that license contractors, you should always check to see that the contractor is licensed or registered with the state. Louisiana is such a state and you can search the database to see if they are a legit business.

Online Contractor Search - LSLBC

And if you don't find them you can file a complaint online. There are serious consequences for doing business without a license.

Back