1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

contractor injured at my house Premises Liability

Discussion in 'Accidents, Injuries, Negligence' started by gene419, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gene419

gene419 Law Topic Starter New Member

My jurisdiction is: Missouri, US

A contractor cut his hand open, requiring stitches, while doing a project for me at my home. Regardless of his insurance situation, can I be held responsible for hospital bills ?

2. Theresagail

Theresagail New Member

He should have workers comp insurance in order to be doing work @ your house-- so I doubt it

3. dee_dub

dee_dub Moderator

How did he cut his hand open?

4. gene419

- I'm not concerned over his worker's comp insurance.. I'm questioning any liability I might face..
    - He sliced open the palm of his hand removing some J-channel in order to build a porch.

5. dee_dub

dee_dub Moderator

Depending on your local occupiers liability laws, you probably have some duty to keep your premises reasonably safe. This was stuff he knew was there, it wasn't any kind of concealed hazard, he had to work with it to do the project? I'd say that unless you get served with papers, don't worry about it.

6. gene419

Sorry.. I now realize the question to 'how did he.. ' was not answered. The injury occured when he cut his own hand with his utility knife while removing a small piece of siding. He received seven stitches, but it just happened yesterday, so there are no bills at this point.

7. dee_dub

dee_dub Moderator

My answer remains the same. I find it hard to imagine how you could be responsible for him accidentally cutting his own hand.

gene419 likes this.
  8. dk2852

dk2852 New Member

Jeez I hope he didn't bleed all over the place.
    I remember this guy who somehow managed to cut his hand at my house. After bleeding everywhere, he finally wrapped it using on of the hand towels from the bathroom, a really nice one too. I finally had to kick him out of my house, and he stole a bottle of vodka on the way out!