Premises Liability contractor injured at my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

gene419

My jurisdiction is: Missouri, US

A contractor cut his hand open, requiring stitches, while doing a project for me at my home. Regardless of his insurance situation, can I be held responsible for hospital bills ?

He should have workers comp insurance in order to be doing work @ your house-- so I doubt it

- I'm not concerned over his worker's comp insurance.. I'm questioning any liability I might face..
- He sliced open the palm of his hand removing some J-channel in order to build a porch.

Depending on your local occupiers liability laws, you probably have some duty to keep your premises reasonably safe. This was stuff he knew was there, it wasn't any kind of concealed hazard, he had to work with it to do the project? I'd say that unless you get served with papers, don't worry about it.

Sorry.. I now realize the question to 'how did he.. ' was not answered. The injury occured when he cut his own hand with his utility knife while removing a small piece of siding. He received seven stitches, but it just happened yesterday, so there are no bills at this point.

My answer remains the same. I find it hard to imagine how you could be responsible for him accidentally cutting his own hand.

Jeez I hope he didn't bleed all over the place.
I remember this guy who somehow managed to cut his hand at my house. After bleeding everywhere, he finally wrapped it using on of the hand towels from the bathroom, a really nice one too. I finally had to kick him out of my house, and he stole a bottle of vodka on the way out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back