Contemp!!! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprildls

Can I go to jail for being in contempt for visitation on a temporary order? I have moved out of state and my ex does not wish to make arrangements with me as far as visitation. He has been going to the designated drop off location every other weekend to press charges on me even thought I call him and make him aware that I will not be able to make it since my daughter has school and the location is now 17 hours away. We are scheduled for a final hearing next month after two years and a social study that was done was in my favor with regard to him not having any rights to medical decisions. I'm guessing this angered him so he has been pressing charges on me ever since. Will I go to jail? What will happen when we have court will I be confined or fined? Please help with any advice!!!

Can I go to jail for being in contempt for visitation on a temporary order? I have moved out of state and my ex does not wish to make arrangements with me as far as visitation. He has been going to the designated drop off location every other weekend to press charges on me even thought I call him and make him aware that I will not be able to make it since my daughter has school and the location is now 17 hours away. We are scheduled for a final hearing next month after two years and a social study that was done was in my favor with regard to him not having any rights to medical decisions. I'm guessing this angered him so he has been pressing charges on me ever since. Will I go to jail? What will happen when we have court will I be confined or fined? Please help with any advice!!!

Did you receive permission to relocate the child?

He has every right to file contempt on you - it's a court order, not a suggestion, you know? (even if only temporary)

I know it is a court order. my question is what will happen to me?will I go to jail or just be fined. I know what the court order states and I know he has every right! I just need to know what will happen after so many times he presses charges.

I know it is a court order. my question is what will happen to me?will I go to jail or just be fined. I know what the court order states and I know he has every right! I just need to know what will happen after so many times he presses charges.
Two posts, three posts, multiple posts will not change the answer.
Yes, people go to jail for contempt.
Will you?
Who knows?
Retain an attorney, write a letter of deep and sincere regret to the court.

Explain to the court why you failed to obey (yes obey, it is not negotiable),
how you will not be disobedient in the future, and BEG the court's pardon and forgiveness.

If you do it well, most likely you'll get a tongue lashing and nothing else.

But, if there ever is a next time, you're going to jail.

Judges don't want to jail people for contempt who apologize and obey their orders going forward.

At least I held that philosophy.

One final thought, HE isn't pressing charges on yiou.

YOU are failing to OBEY the court order.

YOU appear to do this with great regularity.

If you continue, you might also lose custody of your kids.

Straighten up immediately, stop being defiant, and obey the court's orders!

Whatever happens to YOU is YOUR fault, no one else's.

Last edited:
And...whether you got permission in the first place may play a HUGE part in this.

17 hours away is a DRASTIC move....

I think you should go to jail or have a fine! especially if you didn't get his permission to move the child 17 hours away and you're purposfully disobeying the court order! There's a court order for a reason! It is to be followed! Not just that but the child needs a father and if he's trying to be there you shouldn't get in the way of that.

If she moved the child out of the state where the court order was set up wont she have to go 17hours back there? I think so....that should be fun!

You very easily could lose custody of the child, or be forced to bring the child at your expense for visitation. You also could go to jail. Have you lost your mind? What on earth possessed you to take a child out of the jurisdiction without permission. This isn't something that will go away. You have screwed up royally and you need to fix it fast. You might have to move back or at least make arrangements for the child to make her visitation.

All I wanted to know is if I would go directly to jail. I don't need sarcasm. Yes I moved 17 hours away and for everyone's info he has a history of family violence. I do have a lawyer but as many of u know it costs me everytime I call him for advice. My custody battle should be over this next month and everything is in my favor EVEN MOVING 17 HOURS AWAY! Yes the expense is big but it is worth it. I have everything my children need to grow and live. I own a home they are enrolled in school, have family drs and dentists, ect. I know it may look horrible to you that I moved away but their father dosent even call them and has barely been sending child support (now garnished from wages) even though he ahs more than enough money to send. He lives with his parents plus 4 others in a small 3 bedroom home. He has no time, space or patience for them as stated in the homestudy. So I don't regret moving them away. I am not an idiot and I know they need their father but what good is a father that makes excuses not to see them? Its not until the study was done in my favor that he started to press charges. He didn't care much before. As to all your comments and replies thanks but I don't need anyone telling me I "screwed up royally" or have gone insane. I have paid over 12,000 to keep my children excluding travel and I will pay 10 times more if I have to. I thought this was a forum for legal advice not a place to make someone angry. I respect everyones replies but in the future keep it simple without the sarcasm it would be greatly appreciated by everyone!

sounds like he might be waking up now. He may not have seemed to you to have cared then but that doesn't mean that he didnt! If he wants to see the children then you're going to have to bring them to him or face contempt and jail. I don't see how moving 17hrs away from the father is in the childrens best intrest. Infact I would say it's not, unless you have details that prove otherwise that I havent heard. I don't see how a judge is going to look favorably on you moving that far away without the fathers permission. Yes this is an advice forum. The reason you are angry is because you're hearing what you don't want to hear about the reality of the situation. We're not here to side with you we're hear to tell you the truth. Based on the info you gave in your first post, yes it would seem that what you did was crazy.

All I wanted to know is if I would go directly to jail. I don't need sarcasm. Yes I moved 17 hours away and for everyone's info he has a history of family violence. I do have a lawyer but as many of u know it costs me everytime I call him for advice. My custody battle should be over this next month and everything is in my favor EVEN MOVING 17 HOURS AWAY! Yes the expense is big but it is worth it. I have everything my children need to grow and live. I own a home they are enrolled in school, have family drs and dentists, ect. I know it may look horrible to you that I moved away but their father dosent even call them and has barely been sending child support (now garnished from wages) even though he ahs more than enough money to send. He lives with his parents plus 4 others in a small 3 bedroom home. He has no time, space or patience for them as stated in the homestudy. So I don't regret moving them away. I am not an idiot and I know they need their father but what good is a father that makes excuses not to see them? Its not until the study was done in my favor that he started to press charges. He didn't care much before. As to all your comments and replies thanks but I don't need anyone telling me I "screwed up royally" or have gone insane. I have paid over 12,000 to keep my children excluding travel and I will pay 10 times more if I have to. I thought this was a forum for legal advice not a place to make someone angry. I respect everyones replies but in the future keep it simple without the sarcasm it would be greatly appreciated by everyone!

Dreadfully sorry you weren't told what you wanted to hear.

NO I wasn't told what I wanted to hear but yes many of you are right..... you don't know the details. I just received a phone call from my lawyer that we are settling out of court. The judge thought it was int he best interest of the children to stay with me even if I moved 17 hours away. I guess in a way I already knew what would happen. Turns out I win! No I didn't get fined or jailed for contempt. HTe judge thought it was ridiculous that after so many attemps to contact him for visitation he BARELY wanted it. She considered hima jerk for continuing to press charges on me if I sent him emails letters and phone calls in regard to the visitation that by the way he did not return answers too. The social worker assigned to the case stated that he was a very impatient person and as far as having my daughters best interest at heart.... he didn't. The judge took one look at it and advised him to settle before I make it difficult for him. So thanks for the remarks, advice, and sarcasm, but in the end it turned out exactly how I thought it would. NO matter how many times I wold have been in contempt I doubt the judge would turn my children over to someone who has no time or patience for them. Thanks again for this is the end for me...... I got exactly what I wanted..... my kids.

NO I wasn't told what I wanted to hear but yes many of you are right..... you don't know the details. I just received a phone call from my lawyer that we are settling out of court. The judge thought it was int he best interest of the children to stay with me even if I moved 17 hours away. I guess in a way I already knew what would happen. Turns out I win! No I didn't get fined or jailed for contempt. HTe judge thought it was ridiculous that after so many attemps to contact him for visitation he BARELY wanted it. She considered hima jerk for continuing to press charges on me if I sent him emails letters and phone calls in regard to the visitation that by the way he did not return answers too. The social worker assigned to the case stated that he was a very impatient person and as far as having my daughters best interest at heart.... he didn't. The judge took one look at it and advised him to settle before I make it difficult for him. So thanks for the remarks, advice, and sarcasm, but in the end it turned out exactly how I thought it would. NO matter how many times I wold have been in contempt I doubt the judge would turn my children over to someone who has no time or patience for them. Thanks again for this is the end for me...... I got exactly what I wanted..... my kids.

Oh, I'm sure you're right, dear.

I pray for your poor children - and not just because you're quite clearly lying.

When I started this thread (one of many in which I asked the SAME question), I couldn't afford a lawyer.

That was before I could afford a lawyer.

I was worried about contempt and jail.

But, that was before the lawyer that I couldn't afford called me and said we're settling out of court.

Lawyers always make those decisions for their clients, don't you know?

Nanannanana shanashana, I am the greatest one of all time.

You losers are so lame.

I'm so bright.

I'll keep being in contempt because judges fear me and my secret powers.

I wasn't worried, I just wanted to make you losers look bad.

I'm so cool and smart.

Hahahaha, I got the last laugh.

Now, look at who's crying and apologizing to me!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Nothing you read on The Law forums should be considered a substitute for professional assistance, including legal advice. The only legal advice you should accept is from a licensed legal professional with whom you have an attorney-client relationship. The Law Forums are intended to empower the average person with the benefit of the shared experiences of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. Many of the posters are volunteers who may not have any legal training. The law may also vary in different states and jurisdictions from what you read here. All information and advice made available here is on an "AS-IS" basis. The Law Network, LLC does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any material you read here, including the qualifications or titles of any person posting..................................................................................................................NOw I understnad why this disclaimer is there......... sovery unpolite and unprofessional. I'll stick to asking my lawyer for advice and FYI I never said I couldn't afford a lawyer or did't have one.

Your "lawyer" lied to you if he/she gave you that information. You should find another one and hope you don't go to jail or lose custody of your child. Noone is trying to belittle you just trying to give you advice to help you retain custody of your child( which at this point may be impossiable) and keep you out of jail(which also at this point may be impossiable) Good luck.

When I started this thread (one of many in which I asked the SAME question), I couldn't afford a lawyer.

That was before I could afford a lawyer.

I was worried about contempt and jail.

But, that was before the lawyer that I couldn't afford called me and said we're settling out of court.

Lawyers always make those decisions for their clients, don't you know?

Nanannanana shanashana, I am the greatest one of all time.

You losers are so lame.

I'm so bright.

I'll keep being in contempt because judges fear me and my secret powers.

I wasn't worried, I just wanted to make you losers look bad.

I'm so cool and smart.

Hahahaha, I got the last laugh.

Now, look at who's crying and apologizing to me!

ROTFLMBO!!!!!

Where does one purchase those "secret powers"? WalMart? Best Buy?? :p

Bay, we have had this problem here ever since they started letting inmates at the State's insane asylum access the internet. :p

Bay, we have had this problem here ever since they started letting inmates at the State's insane asylum access the internet. :p

Shit! Does this mean I can't buy some power at WallyWorld???

sigh......... I will have to get my power the old fashioned way. Kryptonite...

Oh SUPERMAN!!! Where ARE you??? YooHooooo.............

Shit! Does this mean I can't buy some power at WallyWorld???

sigh......... I will have to get my power the old fashioned way. Kryptonite...

Oh SUPERMAN!!! Where ARE you??? YooHooooo.............

He's out with Laurie Anderson ;)

(and bonus points if you get the reference lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back