Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Considered Stealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xander756

A theoretical scenario: I go to a sporting event in which they are giving out free bobbleheads to the first 3,000 fans. If I were to leave my bobblehead at my seat when I went to the bathroom and someone snags it, they stole it right?

What about if I forget the bobblehead there and go to leave after the game. As I'm walking to the atrium, I remember it. I go back and find it is gone. It was stolen right?

It could have been thrown away by the cleaning people.
Or, someone found it and turned it in to lost & found.

Theft requires an intent to deprive. It might be some lesser offense dealing with the appropriation of found property, or no crime at all.

If someone snags the bobblehead when you go to the bathroom, it is more likely to be theft than if you left it there when you departed.

A theoretical scenario: I go to a sporting event in which they are giving out free bobbleheads to the first 3,000 fans. If I were to leave my bobblehead at my seat when I went to the bathroom and someone snags it, they stole it right?

Yes.

What about if I forget the bobblehead there and go to leave after the game. As I'm walking to the atrium, I remember it. I go back and find it is gone. It was stolen right?

No.

Would be hard to prove theft though if 3,000 of the same item were given away.

Would be hard to prove theft though if 3,000 of the same item were given away.
Theft would be easy to show ... the stolen item would be difficult to identify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back