Confidentiality Question

Kelley Bkake

Jurisdiction
California
I am involved currently in a probate lawsuit case. I have looked in every section on this website and I apologize if this question is in the wrong section. I do have questions about the case I have an attorney on, but that is a subject for a different occasion. This is my question here...

For various reasons I feel that I have made an error in personal judgement by showing my documents to someone not legally involved, who also wants to know about the accounting and how much I'm going to inherit. Is there any specific advice on what I should tell this individual when I decline to give this information from now on? Not that I know it, but especially if I did I would definitely want to keep it confidential.

Is there any one thing that I should remember about maintaining my own confidentiality in this legal matter? Honestly, I do not think that I should be discussing my case with anybody except the attorneys involved on it.

Thank you very much!

I am involved currently in a probate lawsuit case. I have looked in every section on this website and I apologize if this question is in the wrong section. I do have questions about the case I have an attorney on, but that is a subject for a different occasion. This is my question here...

For various reasons I feel that I have made an error in personal judgement by showing my documents to someone not legally involved, who also wants to know about the accounting and how much I'm going to inherit. Is there any specific advice on what I should tell this individual when I decline to give this information from now on? Not that I know it, but especially if I did I would definitely want to keep it confidential.

Is there any one thing that I should remember about maintaining my own confidentiality in this legal matter? Honestly, I do not think that I should be discussing my case with anybody except the attorneys involved on it.

Thank you very much!

Yours is an interpersonal question, not a legal one.

When asked in the future by this individual, just say, "Honestly, I do not think that I should be discussing my case with anybody except the attorneys involved on it."

If this individual presses you further, say, "I have been advised that I should not be discussing my case with anybody except the attorneys. Yes, I was specifically told not to discuss this with you."

Were I you, I would reevaluate this individuals motives - are they nosey, or could it be more?

I do have questions about the case I have an attorney on, but that is a subject for a different occasion.

Huh?

I feel that I have made an error in personal judgement by showing my documents to someone not legally involved

What documents? What does "not legally involved" mean? It implies that the person is involved but that his/her involvement is illegal. Is that what you meant?

Is there any specific advice on what I should tell this individual when I decline to give this information from now on?

Again, huh? You haven't described what's happening with any degree of clarity whatsoever. Why would you tell this person anything?

Not that I know it, but especially if I did I would definitely want to keep it confidential.

Again, huh?

I do not think that I should be discussing my case with anybody except the attorneys involved on it.

Probably a good idea.

what I should tell this individual when I decline to give this information from now on?

How about a simple "No" or "I'm not going to discuss it with you." You don't need to give a reason. If the person presses you further then that person doesn't deserve a response other than "Get lost."

Is there any one thing that I should remember about maintaining my own confidentiality in this legal matter?

My mother taught me when I was about five years old to keep my mouth shut IF I wanted to keep a secret.

If you wish to protect anything of which you have knowledge, don't tell anyone, keep it to yourself.

Yes, we have a constitutional right to "free speech".

We have many others, but one in particular is often IGNORED.

You don't have to testify against yourself in a court of law.

You don't have to confess to anything.

You have the RIGHT to remain SILENT.

Of all the many rights we possess and are guaranteed to us and our progeny, the RIGHT to keep "yer yapper" shut is one of our penultimate rights.

It is far better to discuss the weather, a movie, a song, a recipe, the best pizza, the best Chinese restaurant, a sale on widgets and thingamabobs, your next vacation plans, etc... than ANY personal business with anyone but YOURSELF.

Back