Conditional Spousal Support

Brandon Divorce

Jurisdiction
Utah
My wife and I have been married for 7 years. We decided this year that we are going to separate. It has been very amicable. I am agreeing to the alimony she proposed. In talking to her I also wanted to help her out because she is the mother of my kids and I told her if she goes to therapy, I would pay more alimony as long as she continues. It is not a way to get out of alimony payments, but on top of what we already agreed on. Is there a way in our divorce papers to make payments contingent on her going and finishing therapy? If she does not go, I can not force her, but I do not want to be stuck paying even more to help her through therapy if she does not actually do it.

We are being very amicable and not using lawyers as we have agreed on everything. But I can not find anywhere on how to add contingent payments based on her going or completing therapy.

The answer to your question is yes.

We are being very amicable and not using lawyers as we have agreed on everything.

Those are foolish reasons not to retain a lawyer. The best reason to retain an attorney is to make sure everything is procedurally correct and that you end up with a divorce judgment/decree that makes sense and is enforceable.

Is there a way in our divorce papers to make payments contingent on her going and finishing therapy?

I understand your attempt to be conciliatory, but I suggest you IMMEDIATELY consult an attorney.

Once you have split and time has passed, your magnanimous attitude and generosity will begin to wane, especially when that NEW honey comes into your world.

Divorce is NOT a DIY project especially when money is involved.

Back