Condition of employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelangelo

I am a member of a union. I signed an agreement that I would complete additional training within 1 year of graduating from overall training (my 1 year probationary period) or have my probationary period extended an additional 12 months to complete the additional training at managements discretion. This is all per the union contract. I did not fulfill that obligation within the timeframe nor did my employer terminate nor extend my probationary period as spelled out in the contract. 1.5 years after I was to have met this additional training obligation, I am being sent through the training and told if I do not pass, I will be fired. Does my employer have legal right to terminate me? They allowed me to exit my probationary without having met this condition of employment. Any thoughts?

As far as statutory and case law is concerned, it is perfectly legal.

Any additional rights you have will be spelled out in your contract, which I have not read and therefore cannot comment upon.

If you have any questions about any aspect of union business, always take it to your shop steward or elected union representative first.
That's why you pay those hefty dues, OP.
Those previously mentioned may not know, but they sure as heck will find out for you.
As cbg said, without reading your CBA (and you don't want to let strangers see it), there's no way we could know.
So, go partake of that great training, add to your skills and knowledge, and make yourself more valuable to your employer and more importantly to yourself.
You won't fail, and you won't get fired.
Just make sure you attend, participate, do the work, and you'll get the certification.

Anytime a union is involved, you need to read your CBA & any recourse is through your union. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back