Complications on Extended Medical Leave

December 2016 I had to begin extended medical leave because of lumbar fusion still painful and slow recovery. I go for a check up later this month. It seems during my leave I have had blood tests come back with positive Ana and tested high for sjogrens. I have a rheumatologist appointment set up, but it's in November (soonest they could see me). My question is if my back's feeling somewhat better but I'm really not physically well. Does the back doctor have to clear me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is if my back's feeling somewhat better but I'm really not physically well. Does the back doctor have to clear me?

That is a question BEST asked of a physician.

Anecdotally, as from my miserable life, back ailments (as in spinal ailments) tend to be the precursor of arthritis and rheumatism related diseases.

I won't bore you and others with my details, I suggest you begin preparing for the scenario that might find you unable to work for months, years, or maybe never again.

These diseases tend to disable people much earlier than one expects.

At a minimum, they will change your life.

These diseases tend to be debilitating over time.

That is a question BEST asked of a physician.

Anecdotally, as from my miserable life, back ailments (as in spinal ailments) tend to be the precursor of arthritis and rheumatism related diseases.

I won't bore you and others with my details, I suggest you begin preparing for the scenario that might find you unable to work for months, years, or maybe never again.

These diseases tend to disable people much earlier than one expects.

At a minimum, they will change your life.

These diseases tend to be debilitating over time.

Thank you. And you are so right.

Not your question but considering which forum you placed this in; if you've been out since December of 2016 you have already past the maximum length of time your employer is required to hold your job, assuming that you are in the US.

Not your question but considering which forum you placed this in; if you've been out since December of 2016 you have already past the maximum length of time your employer is required to hold your job, assuming that you are in the US.[/QUOTE

That may be true. However where I'm employed at I'm allowed up to 5 years for extended medical leave.

That may be true. However where I'm employed at I'm allowed up to 5 years for extended medical leave.

Bully for your employer.

I suggest you investigate the plan, just in case your health takes a nasty downturn.

I know you'd rather be healthy, but you have a safety net.

Too many people think that lousy, useless, deceitful, falsely promoted FMLA is that safety net.

Whether or not a doctor would consider you fit to return to work is a medical question, not a legal one. Be honest with your doctor about what is required of you at work. You would be amazed how many employees out there under or over report what it is they do to be allowed to return or remain out. I literally see it daily. In the long run it helps no one.

I would also talk to your employer. 5 years is a long time and I can't help but think there are some caveats in that policy.Policies can also change. If this is part of a union contract or you have an employment contract that specifies this, you are on firmer ground. Having been on the other side of the desk with a 2 year maximum, and having an employer who genuinely wanted to do right by employees, it was very difficult in many cases to make it work. Find out how the policy actually works and what you can do to help with the transition when the time comes to return to work.

The back doctor will clear you or not based on your back condition. If you have other medical issues unrelated to your back, your back doctor really can't address that.

Back