Complications from family

Status
Not open for further replies.

entilzah

This may sound stupid but it is what it is. Where could I find out about Texas laws concerning inheritence laws. As a spouse to an heir do I have any more or less standing than the child of another heir?

This may sound stupid but it is what it is. Where could I find out about Texas laws concerning inheritence laws. As a spouse to an heir do I have any more or less standing than the child of another heir?

As the spouse of a potential heir, YOU have no standing.
Your spouse stands to inherit.
If your spouse is deceased, your children replace him in matters of intestacy.

Suppose your spouse had one sibling.
Each sibling would inherit one half of the estate.
Suppose you and your spouse have two children.
If your spouse is deceased, each child inherits one quarter of the estate.
You do NOT stand in the this particular inheritance line.

You have no blood tie.
If you and your deceased hubby had no children, your husband's one half share would be further distributed by familial tie.

Here is a little more information on Texas intestacy laws:

http://www.professorbeyer.com/Articles/Intestacy_Texas_Basics.htm

http://www.smithgarglaw.com/articles-0207wills.html

http://www.mystatewill.com/statutes/tx_law.htm

Thank you for information. I can admit when I am wrong. But I just want to say my wife's family are a bunch of greedy buttheads.

Thank you for information. I can admit when I am wrong. But I just want to say my wife's family are a bunch of greedy buttheads.

It has been my experience that most families become VERY greedy after the funeral!

I have also seen this trait while the injured or ill person lies on their death bed!

We are seeing all of that first hand and would give in if it did not mean we would be homeless. All my wife has asked for from the beginning was to be treated as an equal like it says in the will.

entilzah said:
We are seeing all of that first hand and would give in if it did not mean we would be homeless. All my wife has asked for from the beginning was to be treated as an equal like it says in the will.

If there is a will, that changes things.
The will of the deceased can direct everything be given to a poodle.

If the will is being mishandled, you might want to seek the advice of a good attorney (depending on the value of the estate). If it's a couple thousand dollars, no. It it's several thousand dollars, maybe. If it's hundreds of thousands, definitely.

That is part of the problem, there is the property they lived in, possibly AT&T stock, the truck of his that they basically stole, and whatever might have been in his bank accounts. My wife's two sisters have refused to let her see any documents on what he still had. They did give her a copy of the will which states they are to "share and share alike."

Perhaps army judge can clarify, but in this instance, I believe the child of the other heir has no standing either if the the other heir (his parent) is still living and the will directs the estate to be divided among the deceased's children.

irish223 said:
Perhaps army judge can clarify, but in this instance, I believe the child of the other heir has no standing either if the the other heir (his parent) is still living and the will directs the estate to be divided among the deceased's children.

Irish, have I missed something?
I thought there to be three sisters.
Is the OP married to a half-sister?
If they are all full sisters, the OP's spouse should be equal to the other two sisters.

If that is the case, the OP's spouse might want to see an attorney.
If there is a will, it must be probated.
If it hasn't been, and the two thieves have been helping themselves to riches, OP's spouse should retain counsel.
Alas, sometimes everything has disappeared once the locusts descend upon the crops.

Irish, have I missed something?
I thought there to be three sisters.
Is the OP married to a half-sister?
If they are all full sisters, the OP's spouse should be equal to the other two sisters.

No, I was addressing the part about the child of another heir and that child's standing to inherit. As I understood the original question, OP asked if the child of an heir has more standing to inherit than he (the spouse of an heir).

Just saying that if the will splits the estate among the 3 sisters, then the children of those sisters are in line to inherit ONLY if their mother (one of the original 3 sisters) is deceased. Right?

ETA: Actually, I think it's a moot point since it seems that all heirs are still living, but the above is for intestate. Just out of curiosity, if one of the sisters died before the father, would her children then inherit her share if the will doesn't specify descendent heirs?

Last edited:
No, I was addressing the part about the child of another heir and that child's standing to inherit. As I understood the original question, OP asked if the child of an heir has more standing to inherit than he (the spouse of an heir).

Just saying that if the will splits the estate among the 3 sisters, then the children of those sisters are in line to inherit ONLY if their mother (one of the original 3 sisters) is deceased. Right?

Irish, I hated this crap four odd decades ago.
I hate it more today.
Property, yuck.
We used to derisively call Property, Will & Thrills.
Yes, only if she is dead,
But, their father (if she's married) stands before her children.

ETA: Actually, I think it's a moot point since it seems that all heirs are still living, but the above is for intestate. Just out of curiosity, if one of the sisters died before the father, would her children then inherit her share if the will doesn't specify descendent heirs?

You're right, they all appear to be living.
If BEE, CEE, & DEE are mentioned in a will, and DEE passes away before the testator; then the testator passes away.
Now only BEE & CEE remain alive.
The legal next of kin of DEE could assert the claim held by DEE.
It could be a spouse at that point, children, or grandchildren.
If BEE & CEE are the only closest surviving relatives of DEE, their shares increase by splitting what would have gone to DEE.

Last edited:
...do I have any more or less standing than the child of another heir?

All my wife has asked for from the beginning was to be treated as an equal like it says in the will.

They (niece/nephew) stated that they are a secondary heir and therefore have valid input.

Sorry to butt in, but I think the OP isn't asking about inheriting. I think he's asking if he can offer his opinion and input to the situation, and the other heir's children think their input trumps his. I think he's just trying to help his wife stand up to her siblings.

paris said:
Sorry to butt in, but I think the OP isn't asking about inheriting. I think he's asking if he can offer his opinion and input to the situation, and the other heir's children think their input trumps his. I think he's just trying to help his wife stand up to her siblings.
Could be.
I don't think they want to listen.
They seem too busy pilfering and looting.

Last edited:
Actually Paris that is absolutely correct. My wife had been convinced that her family was near perfect until her dad died in January. The first thing was have the locks changed on the house, then they took his truck the day they buried him (this issue has been addressed in another thread here), they refused to give her a key to the house for 3 months. We live 1 block away from her parents in her grandmothers house and have been here to care for her grandmother and her parents before they all passed. Now the two sisters and their children are going all out. Since our house was not completely paid for yet they each inherited a portion of that. They are now attempting to proceed to evict us. At this point they have told my wife unless she gives in to all of their demands that they will evict. I do not believe that they will stop even if she falls in line with them. As to the only thing we can prove which is the truck we have informed them that what they did was theft and fraud and that if they evict then they will be doing so from jail. They were told by the new attorney(they fired the original one) that they do not have to probate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back