complaint for slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarasota

I've been told I will be served with a complaint for slander for an email exchange in which I, as an employee, disputed a claim for a directory listing. My dispute was based on prior difficulties with this company and my question relating to the possibility of the invoice being bogus. I had only their copy of the invoice with my signature, no date. Following a rather abrupt exchange (in which my contact used foul language) I was told that he would either talk to my boss or the owner (my boss) will receive the complaint. There was no name given to me in the emails and when I asked for his name he said it would appear on the complaint. I did call the company, get the owner's name and sent a final email to this person with a request for a copy of the signed original. How legitimate is his case and what are my chances for a defense? Should I go ahead and pay the charges (less than $200). Call him? Please help and thanks.

Why would you pay money for an alleged bad act that you claim you are not guilty of committing?

I'm not sure that slander is a cause of action that is actionable in Small Claims Court. You should check the local rules with the clerk's office who can point you in the right direction or send you to a web site with the rules posted.
Originally posted by sarasota
I've been told I will be served with a complaint for slander for an email exchange in which I, as an employee, disputed a claim for a directory listing. My dispute was based on prior difficulties with this company and my question relating to the possibility of the invoice being bogus. I had only their copy of the invoice with my signature, no date. Following a rather abrupt exchange (in which my contact used foul language) I was told that he would either talk to my boss or the owner (my boss) will receive the complaint. There was no name given to me in the emails and when I asked for his name he said it would appear on the complaint. I did call the company, get the owner's name and sent a final email to this person with a request for a copy of the signed original. How legitimate is his case and what are my chances for a defense? Should I go ahead and pay the charges (less than $200). Call him? Please help and thanks.

The person in question appears to have my signature on the document to ok the listing. Could have happened. Actually I picked up the phone, talked to the owner and indicated that I had an unpleasant email conversation with someone at his company. He said, "That must have been so-and-so." I think we've resolved the problem but it remains to be seen if I'm served.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back