Company will not rehire me

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCastil57

I am 57 yrs old. I worked for a company for 12 yrs. In 2007 I was let go due to re-organization. I received a severance pay from them. Since I was let go the company has posted my postion to the exact detail an qualifications. I have both times been told by Unemployment to apply for this job it meets my qualifications. Each time I apply for the position I am told by email from the HR they that I did not have enough experience and qualifications.
Don't you think this is discrimination?

Please, educate me:

What form of discrimination is legal? Because, "Discrimination refers to the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit."

This thread is two years old. However, all discrimination is legal unless it it based in a characteristic protected by law. At the Federal level this includes race, religion, national origin, gender, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, and age (over 40 only). Some states have included other characteristics such as sexual orientation, marital status, or having a criminal record.

We all discriminate every day of our lives. When you put on the blue shirt, you are discriminating against the white one. When you order chicken at the restaurant, you're discriminating against steak. It is impossible to go through life without a certain amount of discrimination, but it is only illegal if a specific law protects the characteristic you are discriminating against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back