Company I left 1yr ago, saying I owe them $1600, after already collecting $2500...

Status
Not open for further replies.

theveteran

I reside in Maryland, but worked for the company in question @ Georgia. The company has offices in numerous states including Md.

Good afternoon all. I'm new to the forum but desperately need advice. I'll try to keep it brief and just summarize my issue. I hope I'm posting this in the most appropriate forum, and if not, please forgive me and feel free to move it accordingly.

January 2010- I quit working for a company I had been working for over the past 4yrs.
Around March 2010- I got a letter asking me to pay back $2500 for tuition reimbursement I was awarded over the past yr (you have to stay at the company for over a yr or return some of the money)
March 2010- I sent the company a check for the full amount, clearing my debt with them once and for all.

November 2010- I receive a letter stating that I had been overpaid tuition reimbursement for the yr 2009. I am told I owe $1600 and should pay up.

I dont know how they came up with that figure. I dont recall ever being overpaid tuition reimbursement. There's a $5000 cap per yr and they say they paid me $9000 for that yr. It doesnt make sense at all. Now the problem is, I dont know what my options are at this point. I left this company about a yr ago. Why will they be contacting me almost a full yr later for $1600? After I already paid them $2500 this year? I asked them for an address to send legal documents if I have to (cease and desist letter?). But I'm not exactly sure what I need to be doing to sort this out. Please advice.

I think I may have already answered you on another forum, but in case it was someone else, the first thing you need to do is ask them for an accounting of how they arrived at this amount. There's not really a whole lot that can be done until you get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back