College tuition assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrms

My 18 yr old son wants to live on campus next yr. I simply can't afford to pay room and board and continue to pay child support. Can my ex force me to pay for my son's room and board when we live across the street from the college just because the divorce agreement says we will share college expenses based on a percentage of of our individual income?

Thank you

Possibly but if he moves on campus why would you continue to pay mom child support? You could petition to drop the support and then just pay part of the college expenses.

If there are other children under 18 then you are paying child support for them.

If the 18 year old wants to live on campus, let him be an adult and contribute to that cost as well. Your agreement to cover college expenses does not have to include his desire to live on campus... if you are literally right across the street from the school then your son's request is unreasonable, and you certainly don't have to pay for that.

Sounds like something you just need to discuss with him in terms of dollars and cents. He has a free place to stay at home... let him pay his own room and board if he wants to live somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back