Collective dismissal and rehiring for same positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoupDesPrairies

The following situation.

A company who hires linguists from mainly Europe, cease production in one of the branches all of a sudden for economical reasons since we got almost no work in. All linguists (Temporary foreign workers) were laid off.

About 8 weeks before the collective dismissal the HR sent an internal email asking who likes to renew his contract. I was answering and got a confirmation that they will renew my contract - 4 weeks later we linguists got laid off.
My contract was ending in November but the contracts of many colleagues were supposed to end in few months up to almost one year.

I was not allowed to continue working in the main office (60 km north of the branch I worked) - for economical reasons since no work was coming in.

Few weeks after the dismissal, I saw that the the company posted adds on national and European job portals that they have open positions for linguists to fill in for January, one of those adds has been published 7 days after the collective dismissal.
I reapplied but got no answer, I tried to reach the HR department but got answering machines only. I left a message but never got a feedback.

My questions are now:

- Is it legal for a company to lay off a complete team 30 employees for economical reasons and going to rehire new staff for the same positions (22 are open) within 3 months?
- Do the former employees have a right to get the newly opened positions offered?
- Can I claim my position back since I got the confirmation that they will renew my contract for a third year?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:
I think Dee Dub is the only Canadian, and my P.M feature has been down for some time. So hang tough AH.

This site deals almost exclusively with US Law. If someone knows anything about Canadian law, they will post, but just letting you know in case you don't get any responses.

@ Green Hornet and Patricia,

thanks for your answers :) knowing it's mainly for US law I thought worth trying.
Anyhow I did the step and hired an local lawyer ...
The result, going to get my position back in January which obviously has not been possible before the lawyer got involved.
So... issue solved for me :)

Last edited:
@ Green Hornet and Patricia,

thanks for your answers :) knowing it's mainly for US law I thought worth trying.
Anyhow I did the step and hired an local lawyer ...
The result, going to get my position back in January which obviously has not been possible before the lawyer got involved.
So... issue solved for me :)
Thats good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back