coaching at (discount store)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbmad

My brother works at (discount store) as an assistant manager. He did something that was technically against the rules (nothing serious like theft or sexual harassment). He was given a written coaching which is kind of a last chance because of his actions. However another assistant manager who did the same thing at the same time had nothing put on her record. She was simply told not to do it again. My brother is Caucasian/Native American and his co worker is a African American female. Could this be a case of discrimination.

My confusion is why the matter was handled differently for coworkers who have the same job title and experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's Caucasian and NA, Anthropologists would say he's NA.
Anthropologists have determined that Caucasians must be 100% Caucasian. If a Caucasian is 25% SOMETHING ELSE, he automatically becomes that SOMETHING ELSE.

The anthropology and sociology stuff aside, based upon your story, I see nothing discriminatory in what you've described. Why? He's not a protected class. The female, she's in a protected class. But, that doesn't prove why the two cases were allegedly treated differently, assuming they were.

If he's Caucasian and NA, Anthropologists would say he's NA.
Anthropologists have determined that Caucasians must be 100% Caucasian. If a Caucasian is 25% SOMETHING ELSE, he automatically becomes that SOMETHING ELSE.

The anthropology and sociology stuff aside, based upon your story, I see nothing discriminatory in what you've described. Why? He's not a protected class. The female, she's in a protected class. But, that doesn't prove why the two cases were allegedly treated differently, assuming they were.
All races are a protected class as are both males & females.

It is not illegal to treat employees differently or discriminate against them as long as they are not discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (gender, race, religion, etc.). Can your brother prove he was discriminated against due to an illegal reason?

There could be any number of reasons why, and most of those reasons are legal.

How long had your brother worked there, and how long had the other employee? I'm going somewhere specific with this.

Just because they had the same job title & experience doesn't mean there was discrimination against your brother. They could only choose one employee. You can answer cbg's question but choosing or not choosing on length of service is not discrimination either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back