Co-Worker intimidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatiesMagic

I work for a private company as an assistant to two salesmen and report directly to the owner. One of the salesmen makes me approve everything through him because he doesn't feel the owner is a 'stand up' guy which in itself is not a major issue. (I have a couple of emails in which he calls the owner a liar and not being a 'stand up' guy) I have only been with the company for approximately 6 months and have missed 3 days due to unavoidable uncircumstances. The salesman closed my office door a few weeks ago and told me that if he had been allowed to ask health related questions...he then stopped himself from finishing the sentence. He told me that I need to determine what my priorities are - my health or work. I have fibromyalgia along with several other related health issues. He also told me that his friend has lupus but manages to deal with it, and that he put off going to the dentist for 10 years because work came first. This meeting was the icing on the cake for me. He has worked for this company for 10 years. During his 10 years, he has had several confrontations with customers and former employees. One time he got into a verbal altercation with a female employee and the police were called. The female was placed in another location and he had to go through anger management counseling.

He is on his third sales assistant (I am the 3rd assistant) in three years. The first one told him where to go because he became angry enough to bad mouth her family. The second one had several verbal arguments with him and now I am being subjected to a similar environment.

This environment is having an adverse affect on my health to the point that my chest hurts and I am having colitis attacks. The owner instructed me to let this salesmen know that I am upset with him. I am afraid of getting into an altercation with him and instead, crafted an email last week and finally sent it to him this morning. I kept it strictly to the events of the closed door meeting and nothing more. Unfortunately the owner prefers that the employees work out their differences or leave the company.

I cannot quit as I have absolutely no savings at the moment. But then I also am having a difficult time going in each day. Do I have any rights based off what I have described? The owner has it in the back of his mind that I might file charges against him. My preference is to walk away with a severance package so that I can find another job and agree to not legally go after the salesman or the company.

I am in Ohio.

I did receive a response back via email and got the impression that I'm being an over emotional female. I did show it to a couple of friends who deal with HR/union issues and was told to get out of there. Easier said than done on the spur of the moment.

Last edited:
lol, the insecure male co-worker, no laws unless they specifically said you are an over emotional female, then you could them on creating a hostile work envionment

you can talk to your doc about the effects the work envionment is having on your health. if your employer has a problem with accomdating your health condition, you might suggest that they discuss it with the eeoc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back