Clipped fingernails found in chewing gum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickter

A few days ago I purchased a pack of a well-known brand of chewing gum at a local grocery store. When I chewed the 5th stick from the pack, I felt something poke the inside of my mouth. I removed the gum from my mouth and discovered what appeared to be a fingernail clipping sticking out of the gum. Upon further examination, I found another one and then several with specks all through the gum. I then examined the remaining sticks that were left in the pack and found that another stick appeared to be partially opened.

I placed the fingernails and the chewed gum in a plastic sandwich bag and took that plus the remainder of the pack back to the store. They immediately refunded my purchase price and recommended that I contact the manufacturer, which I did immediately. The manufacturer responded to me right away with many apologies. But they asked that I return the product to them so that they can examine it. I don't feel comfortable doing that. Am I wrong? I'm still feeling yucky about chewing on someone else's fingernails.:eek:

Why not send the evidence to the manufacturer? That is the only way they have to verify what is the lot number, assembly number and investigate if tempering was performed. I would document what you are sending to them by taking a movie, pictures, preparing a list of what you are sending (i.e - two unwrapped gum sticks; one semi-opened gum stick showing what seems to be a nail clipping embedded, etc...) and send the evidence along with a letter. I would also have that delivered via certified mail. That way you have all the proof that you sent everything to the manufacturer and they cannot deny having ever not received it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back