Claiming the child tax credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred45

I am the non-custodial parent. Is it reasonable to ask their mom if I can take the tax credit for our son on alternate years? i.e. she claims the kids on her tax return one year and I claim them on the following year. She is totally opposed to this idea. even though she earns four times more than I do.

You can ask but she doesn't have to allow it. You probably will have to go to court and ask to be able to claim. Do you pay child support?

If she earns 4 times more than you do, it's more beneficial for all if she takes the deduction because she's probably in a higher tax bracket.

If she earns 4 times more than you do, it's more beneficial for all if she takes the deduction because she's probably in a higher tax bracket.

It's more advantageous for mom but has no benefit for anyone else. Fed and State get less from her and more from dad...... If both parties have joint custody AND share equally in the support of the child then each should be allowed to claim the exemption on alternate years. My opinion - not the way it works out unfortunately.

I'm in a similar boat but until now I've lived with it. I'm paying half the tuition and many other costs now and 'dad' won't share the exemption. I think I see a modification hearing in my future.

The only way you can legally do that is if your ex signs a paper waiving her right to claim, and if you claim without the paper signed, you can be held responsible to pay the money back if they give it to you. You could ask the courts to put that in the paperwork, however if you are the non-custiodal parent, and have no custody rights that is more than likely a waste of your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back