child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra81

Received a letter in mail from child support..stating we have 10 days to contact them to establish child support payment..called the day we got letter and then for 2 times a week for next 6 weeks left a message 3 or 4 times..did not get call back...then this last Friday got served with a civil summons ..stating that " based upon information and belief , the defendant has lrefused to contribute adequately to the support of minor child".. we were trying to work with them could not get them to answer phone or call us back..1 question can they set a payment and we have to pay it...2 questions what is our next move..we have tried to call child support again and left more messages and still no response....im trying to get my phone records pulled to prove we have tried to call but apparently i need attorney for that ..thats what phone company said...we are lost and need help

Okay - so (can we assume it's Dad?) Dad received a communication and basically didn't respond?

Can you explain the background?

(for what it's worth, phone records won't matter at all - they only prove that there was a call made from X to Y. It cannot prove the content)

yes i am dad..i tried to communicate by phone to child support and they did not respond back to me..what kind of background are you asking for?

background on child ...he is 14 has not lived with me for over a year ..wanted to live with his mom ( mom and i have not been with eachother for over 4 years )..after a lot of difficulty on his part because he wanted to live with mom..he became hard to deal with i let him go live with his mom ..his mom filed for stat help and here we are now with child support

background on child ...he is 14 has not lived with me for over a year ..wanted to live with his mom ( mom and i have not been with eachother for over 4 years )..after a lot of difficulty on his part because he wanted to live with mom..he became hard to deal with i let him go live with his mom ..his mom filed for stat help and here we are now with child support

In your state, as in the others, there is a state child support/collection agency.

Here's the website for NC, read the information, educate yourself about the process.

http://www.ncchildsupport.com/parents.jsp

The amount that you'll pay is driven by certain guidelines set by the state and the feds.

Not much to discuss, except how much you earn, and how many other children (of YOURS) you support.

https://nddhacts01.dhhs.state.nc.us/home.jsp?TargetScreen=WorkSheet.jsp

Play around with the worksheet to determine approximately how much they'll require you pay.

This has nothing to do with the phone calls, because they would have held a hearing eventually.

Just appear as the summons instructs, and bring the proof they require.

The rest is going to be automatic.

You're expected to support your child.

There really isn't any excuse here. Again, your phone records will prove nothing other than the fact you placed a call. For all we know you could have been talking to a human and trying to negotiate something unrealistic.

Not that it really matters at this point. You NEED to go to court though. You're going to be paying CS at some point. Failure to pay can end up with losing your license/s, your tax refund being intercepted, all the way up to jail time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back